CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

***AN: I did a quick sketch of what I imagined the Mythos to look like for you guys. Sorry that It's not too detailed, I just wanted to give you all a rough idea :)

 (The green version is digitally edited as I was lazy to work into the drawing with paint 😂)***

A million questions flooded into my mind but I pushed most of them away, I had to remain focused. 

"Shade?" I questioned making him turn to face me once again. "How am I supposed to help you take down a Leomonium while holding a baby Mythos?" I asked, plainly stating the obvious. 

He looked down at the little Mythos in surprise as if he had forgotten about it, before scanning the area quickly. 

"Use this," he said pulling a thin stand of leather from his belt. 

He held it out to me with an annoyingly smug grin on his face. I accepted it quickly and tied it around my waist, securing the Mythos safely inside my jacket. 

I never actually thought that I'd see the day where we would actually need to use that thing, which Shade insisted was essential to carry around at all costs. I think that he said that it would come in handy to cut off blood circulation if one of us were wounded severely, probably forgetting the fact that he was a werewolf that would heal more or less straight away. 

"Let's go," I said shooing him away with my now free hands. 

He ran into the darkness, following the growls and squeals that pierced the nights still air. I skidded to a stop just behind Shade and moved to stand next to him so I was able to see the battling creatures. Well, I tried to see them, but the most that I focus on were blasts of green and red explosions erupting from the fast-paced fight. 

Without warning, Shade ran towards the battle and disappeared between the flashing lights. I was quickly filled with a new, unwanted concern for his safety so I swiftly drew my daggers and ran in after him, taking care not to be caught in the crossfire between the beasts. 

It was times like this that I really wished that I knew more about my unique powers, especially when it came to my witch side. This would be over so much quicker if I had learned a simple pausing momentum spell, but I suppose it didn't do the fight any good to dwell on the past, so I snapped my attention into focus and looked for an advantage point. 

A painfilled and piercing shriek tore coldly through the dense air making me freeze to my place. Anger blazed through me uncontrollably, melting away the inner ice that had frozen my body as I recognized it's helpless plea as the call of the Mythos, I span around just as another heartbreaking cry ripped through the air. One last flash of emerald and ruby took place ahead of me, just before the colours were separated forcefully. 

I followed the green glow to the left to see the Mythos lying weakly on the floor with its emerald aura dimming to a deep jade with each passing second. I quickly leapt in front of her on instinct and faced the demon without hesitation. 

It took the form of a lion but had ragged pitch black fur that seemed to camouflage it against the dark night, I also noticed that it had the sleek, spiked tail of a dragon and unnaturally razor-sharp teeth to inflict maximum damage on its opponent. 

I looked up and over the beasts tall frame to meet its furious blood red eyes. I glued my eyes to the creatures and stood up tall with my daggers extended forward, to give it the impression that I wasn't afraid.