4x02 - Are You There God?

Bobby's house

Bobby is sitting at his desk with a pile of books in front of him. Sam is sitting in a chair in the opposite corner talking to Dean, who is standing.

"well, then tell me what else it could be" Sam says referring to Castiel.

"look, all I know is I was not groped by an angel" Dean is still in denial.

"okay, look, Dean. Why do you think this Castiel would lie to you about it?" Sam argues.

"Maybe she's some kind of demon. Demons lie."

Bobby looks up from his books at the boys.

"a demon who's immune to salt rounds and devil's traps... and Ruby's knife? Dean, Lilith is scared of that thing!" Sam reasons with Dean.

"don't you think that if angels were real, that some hunter somewhere would have seen one... at some point...ever?"

"yeah, you just did, Dean."

"I'm trying to come up with a theory here. Okay? Work with me"

"Dean we have a theory" Sam answers.

"yeah, one with a little less fairy dust on it, please" Dean argues.

"Okay, look. I'm not saying we know for sure. I'm just saying that I think we—"

"okay, okay. That's the point. We don't know for sure, so I'm not gonna believe that this thing is a freaking angel of the Lord because it says so!" Dean says irritated.

"You two chuckleheads want to keep arguing religion, or do you want to come take a look at this?" Bobby breaks them apart from their argument. Sam and Dean walk over to Bobby's desk.

"I got stacks of lore, biblical, pre-biblical. Some of it's in damn cuneiform. It all says an angel can snatch a soul from the pit" Bobby explains.

"What else?" Dean questions not satisfied.

"What else, what?"

"What else could do it?" Dean asks.

"airlift your ass out of the hot box? As far as I can tell, nothing" Bobby admits.

"Dean, this is good news" comes Sam's input.

"how?"

"Because for once, this isn't just another round of demon crap. I mean, maybe you were saved by one of the good guys, you know?"

"okay. Say it's true. Say there are angels. Then what? There's a God?" Dean questions.

"at this point, Vegas money's on yeah" says Bobby.

"I don't know, guys" Dean says still in denial.

"okay, look. I know you're not all choirboy about this stuff, but this is becoming less and less about faith and more and more about proof." Sam explains.

"proof?" Dean asks in shock.

"yes"

"Proof that there's a God out there that actually gives a crap about me personally? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it" Dean says.

"Why not?" Sam asks confused.

"because why me? If there's a God out there, why would he give a crap about me?"

"Dean—"

"I mean, I've saved some people, okay? I figured that made up for the stealing and the ditching chicks. But why do I deserve to get saved? I'm just a regular guy" Dean explains.