4x18 - The monster at the end of this book

Chuck's Home – Day

Chuck, carrying a bottle in a brown bag and six-pack of cans, unlocked the door to his house and entered. He walked in slowly and does not appear very surprised to find Dean sitting in his living room, "Dean"

"I take it you knew I'd be here"

"You look terrible" Chuck told him.

"That's because I just got hit by a minivan, Chuck" Dean snapped.

"Oh"

"That's it? Every damn thing you write about me comes true, that's all you have to say is 'oh'?!" Dean snapped angrily.

"Please don't yell at me" Chuck pleaded.

"Why do I get feeling there's something that you're not telling us?" Dean asked rhetorically.

"What wouldn't I be telling you?"

"How you know what you know, for starters!"

"I don't know how I know, I just do!"

"That's not good enough" Dean shoved Chuck against the wall "How the hell are you doing this?!"

"Dean, let him go!" Castiel appeared out of nowhere. Dean released Chuck and turned to face Castiel. "This man is to be protected"

"Why?"

"He's a prophet of the lord" She explained.

"You... You're Castiel... aren't you?" Chuck stuttered.

"It's an honor to meet you, Chuck. I... admire your work" Castiel picked up one of the books and started paging through it.

"Whoa, whoa, what? This guy, a prophet? Come on, he's – he's... he's practically a penthouse forum writer" Dean turned to Chuck "Did you know about this?"

Chuck had stumbled over to his armchair, he cracked open a fresh bottle of whiskey and poured himself some. "I, uh, I might have dreamt about it"

"and you didn't tell us?!"

"It was too preposterous. Not to mention arrogant. I mean, writing yourself into the story is one thing, but as a prophet? That's like M. Night- level douchiness" He finished this trade and desperately gulped down the whiskey

"This is the guy who decides our fate?" Dean asked more quietly to Castiel.

"He isn't deciding anything. He's a mouthpiece, a conduit for the inspired word" Castiel explained.

"The word? The word of god? What, like the new new testament?" Dean asked.

"One day, these books – they'll be known as the Winchester gospel"

"You got to be kidding me" Dean and Chuck said in unison.

"I am not... kidding you" Castiel told them confused.

"if you'd both please excuse me one minute" Chuck stood, still clutching the bottle, and disappeared upstairs.

"Him? Really?" Dean asked.

"You should've seen Luke"

"Why'd he get tapped?"

"I don't know how prophets are chosen. The order comes from high up on the celestial chain of command" She explained.

"How high?"

"Very"

"Well, whatever. How do we get around this?" Dean asked.

"Around what?"

"The Sam-Lilith love connection. How do we stop it from happening?"

"What the prophet has written can't be unwritten. As he has seen it, so it shall come to pass" Castiel explained.

**********
'RE D Motel' Parking Lot – Night

Dean dropped a coin into a soda machine, fuming. He took a step back and looked around. "Well, I feel stupid doing this. But... I am fresh out of options. So please. I need some help. I'm praying, okay? Come on, please" Dean prayed.

"Praying is a sign of faith. This is a good thing, Dean" Castiel told him, appearing in front of him.

"So does that mean you'll help me?"

"I'm not sure what I can do" Castiel told him the truth.

"Drag Sam out of here, now. Before Lilith shows up"

"It's a prophecy. I can't interfere" Castiel explained.

"You have tested me and thrown me every which way. And I have never asked for anything. Not a damn thing. But now I'm asking. I need your help. Please" Dean begged.

"What you're asking, it's... not within my power to do"

"Why? Cause it's 'divine prophecy'?"

"yes"

"So, what, we're just supposed to sit around and, and wait for it to happen?"

"I'm sorry" Castiel told him regretfully.

"Screw you. You and your mission. Your god. If you don't help me now, then when the time comes and you need me... don't bother knocking" Dean brushed past Castiel and began walking away, but he stopped at Castiel's voice. "Dean. Dean"

"What?!"

"You must understand why I can't intercede. Prophets are very special. They're protected" Castiel hinted at him.

"I get that"

"If anything threatens a prophet, anything at all, an archangel will appear to destroy that threat. Archangels are fierce. They're absolute. They're heaven's most terrifying weapon"

"And these archangels, they're tied to prophets?"

"Yes"

"So if a prophet was in the same room as a demon—" Dean finally caught on.

"Then the most fearsome wrath of heaven would rain down on that demon. Just so you understand... why I can't help" Castiel told him.

"Thanks, Cas"

"Good luck"