4x07 - It's The Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester

One day before Halloween

Motel Room- Day

Sam is sitting on a couch, with his laptop and a few books on the coffee table in front of him, flipping the pages of the books. He picks up something from the hex bag that looks organic, and holds it up. Dean enters the room and tosses his keys on the table under the window, and unwraps a piece of candy before tossing it in his mouth. Sam sees him do this.

"Really? After that guy chokes down all those razor blades?" He asks annoyed.

"It's Halloween, man" Was dean's smart-ass reply.

"yeah, for us every day is Halloween"

Dean sits down on the arm of the couch and looks at Sam's research. "Don't be a downer. Anything interesting?"

"Well, we're on a witch hunt, that's for sure, but this isn't your typical hex bag" Sam indicates the hex bag that is open now on the table. There is a silver piece, the size of a coin, and something small and charred in addition to the organic thing.

"Hmm, no?"

Sam picks up the dried-up flower looking piece. "Goldthread, an herb that's been extinct for two hundred years. And this—" he picks up the silver piece "Is Celtic, and I don't mean some new age knock-off. It looks like the real deal, like 600 years old."

Dean has picked up the small charred thing and smells it. "And um... that is the charred metacarpal bone of a newborn baby" Sam tells him

"Ugh" he puts the bone down and looks disgusted "Gross"

Sam picks up the bone "Relax man, it's like, at least a hundred years old"

"Oh, right, like that makes it better? Witches, man, they're so friggin' skeevy" Dean complains. He moves over to the chair next to the couch and sits down.

"Yeah, well it takes a pretty powerful one to put a bag like this together. More juice than we've ever dealt with, that's for sure. What about you? Find anything on the victim?" Sam asks.

"This Luke Wallace? He was so vanilla that he made vanilla seem spicy" Dean explains. Sam scoffs at their lack of leads.

"I can't find any reason why somebody would want this guy dead"

**********
Motel Room – Night

Later that evening. Dean is on the computer at the table. Sam is lying on the bed looking through books. Sam sits up, looking intently at a book he is reading.

"I'm telling you, both these vics are squeaky clean. There is no reason for a wicked bitch payback" Dean tells Sam.

"Maybe cause it's not about that" Dean looks at him questioningly.

"Wow, insightful"

"maybe this with isn't working the grudge, maybe they're working a spell. Check this out" Sam reads from the book "Three blood sacrifices over three days, the last before midnight on the final day of the final harvest. Celtic calendar, the final day of the final harvest is October 31st" Sam hands Dean the book.

"Halloween"

"Exactly"

"What exactly are the, uh, blood sacrifices for?" asks Dean.

"Uh, if I'm right, this witch is summoning a demon, and not just any demon – Samhain" Sam explains.

"Am I supposed to be impressed?" Dean asks having no idea who Samhain is.