5x21 - Two Minutes To Midnight

Bobby's House

Dean's phone rings "Hello?"

"Dean?" Castiel is on the other end.

"Cas?" Dean asks surprised.

"Is she okay?" Sam asks Dean.

"We all thought you were dead. Where the hell are you?"

"A hospital" Castiel is laying in a hospital bed.

"Are you okay?"

"No"

"You want to elaborate?"

"I just woke up here. The doctors were fairly surprised. They thought I was brain-dead"

"S-so, a hospital" Dean stutters.

"Apparently, after Van Nuys, I suddenly appeared, bloody and unconscious, on a shrimping boat off Delacroix. I'm told it upset the sailors" Castiel explains.

"Uh, well, I got to tell you – you're just in time. We figured out a way to pop Satan's box."

"How?"

"It's a long story, but, look – we're going after pestilence now. So if you want to zap over here..."

"I can't zap anywhere"

"What do you mean?" Dean asks confused.

"You could say my batteries are – are drained"

"What do you mean? You're out of angel mojo?"

"I'm saying that I am thirsty and my head aches. I have a bug bite that itches no matter how much I scratch it, and I'm saying that I'm just incredibly..."

"Human. Wow. Sorry" Dean finishes for her.

"Well, my point is – I can't go anywhere without money for...an airplane ride. And food. And more pain medication, ideally"

"All right. Well, look, no worries. Uh, Bobby's here. He'll wire you the cash" Dean tells her.

"Dean, wait" Castiel interrupts him.

"I will?" Bobby asks.

"You said no to Michael. I owe you an apology"

"Cas...I – it's okay"

"You are not the burnt and broken shell of a man that I believed you to be" Castiel tells him.

"Thank you. I appreciate that"

"You're welcome"

**********

Serenity Valley Convalescent Home

"Hmm. You boys don't look well. It might be the, uh, scarlet fever. Or, uh, the meningitis. Oh! Or the syphilis. That's no fun. However you feel right now? It's gonna get so very, very much worse. Questions? Disease gets a bad rep, don't you think? For being filthy. Chaotic. Uh, but, really, t – that just describes people who get sick. Disease itself...very...pure...single-minded. Bacteria have one purpose – divide and conquer." Pestilence steps on Dean's hand.

"That's why, in the end...it always wins. So, you've got to wonder why god pours all his love into something so messy...and weak. It's ridiculous. All I can do is show him he's wrong, one epidemic at a time. Now...on a scale of 1 to 10, how's your pain?"

The door opens and Castiel enters.

"Cas" Dean states surprised.

"How'd you get here?" Pestilence asks her.