Story 4 - Nightmares ch1

"I never said I'd lie and wait forever.
If I died, we'd be together.
I can't always just forget him.
But he could try.

At the end of the world,
Or the last thing I see
You are never coming home, never coming home.
Could I? Should I?
And all the things that you never, ever told me,
And all the smiles that are ever, ever..."

The dream always fades in with just the color red.

Steve obtains consciousness to find himself in a darkened room. The feeling of the soreness all over his body, and the tightness of his uniform is surreal. As he looks down to inspect it, he panics at the sight of the Swastika upon his chest where the star is meant to be. His stripes are stained with blood and he suddenly feels the itchy dryness of old blood upon his free skin. The only color he can discern is red.

He then hears the call of his name. A man calls out the name Steve; not Captain America, but Steve. He's aware this is a man he knows well, so he searches through the darkness. Suddenly a light appears: Bucky, surrounded by a circle of Nazi soldiers who are perpetually faceless. The only parts of their faces that are to be seen are their wicked grins. The grins of men who take pride in ending human life, and gaining power.

The Captain quickly rushes forward, toward Bucky. It's his job to save those in need, using the power he has been given, and yet no matter how fast he runs, his friend remains the same distance away, tied up in ropes. When he finally feels he's close enough, he begins to feel the rope burns around his own arms and chest. He can't move; he's tied tightly in the same rope that hold his dear friend taut. He curses himself; the Captain of America cannot even escape simple rope.

Finding that struggling is pointless, he looks up and suddenly Bucky is right in front of him. All at once the entire world bursts into brilliant colors: the cyan blue of Bucky's eyes, which are now blackened plum purple and blood red by the repeated fists that had been pounding down upon him; the soft dark brown of Bucky's hair, which is now matted down with the mahogany red of dried blood and the sandy brown of the dirt floor beneath them; and finally the soft pink of his skin, which was now streaked with blood and sweat. Steve's eyes welled with tears, for seeing someone he found to be so beautiful in so much pain was more heart wrenching than anything he has ever felt.

And to make the pain worse, Bucky coughs up a bit of blood, spitting it onto the dirt floor before speaking to the Captain, "Why didn't you catch me when I fell, Steve?" His voice thick with the sound of betrayal. Steve's eyes widen, and the color of this life begins to fade.

"Why didn't you save me? You could have caught me before I fell off that train. Now look at what you've done to me." Nazis begin to crowd Bucky, grabbing hold of his short brown hair. Another takes hold of Bucky's left shoulder, his grip so tight Steve hears the faint tear of fabric. All the while, the tortured Sergeant holds contact with his Captain.

"I thought we were in this together." Bucky swallows hard, restraining tears.

"Bucky," Steve pleads, not able to handle the words he knows are going to come next. He feels tears wash through the dried blood upon his cheek and he clenches his jaw, "Bucky, don't." His voice breaks.

"I thought you were with me till the end of the line."
All color is gone. Before Steve can think, he screams and launches his body towards Bucky's. Restrained by rope, he falls, his chin hitting the ground hard, but not before he hears the deafening crack of a shoulder being dislocated. Buck's screams echo through Steve's ears as he tries to focus on what he sees.

He hears himself calling Bucky's name, and yet Bucky is disappearing. Before the Captain's very eyes, the Sergeant's knees begin to sink through the ground, as if it were water. Steve struggles against the rope, as the horrific realization that he is letting Bucky die again hits him. Bucky's torso is through the ground now. Steve begs the enemy to release his rope and yet they are all gone. He never stops trying, but Bucky's neck is disappearing now, about to go under.