Story 5 - Forever ch3

(Steve's POV)

"Wanda, wake up." I whispered, shaking the brunette's shoulder gently.
"Hmm?" She murmured, opening her eyes slowly and looking up at me blearily.
"We've landed." I said, smiling softly.
"Oh..." She replied, sitting up slowly and stretching.
"I think someone is meeting us here and escorting to the fortress here in Wakanda." I said, picking up her bags along with mine and starting out of the plane, needing to get some fresh air.
"Steve, if I can't do this, I'm-" Wanda started as she followed closely behind me.
"Wanda, it's fine. I believe in your powers. I believe that anything you put your mind to, you can do." I said, smiling at her as we reached the bottom of the steps, meeting the escort from Wakanda a few steps away.
"If you'd like to follow me, Mr Rogers and Miss Maximoff." She said, leading the way to a white car with blacked out windows. I threw our bags into the boot, climbing into the back after Wanda. I glanced over at her to find her fiddling nervously with her rings yet again.
"You okay?" I asked, attempting to look out the window but finding myself unable to see through the darkness of the tint.
"I'll be alright." She said, flashing me a small smile. I felt bad for her, honestly. Her belief in her ability to control her abilities kept fluctuating. Some days she was confident, other days she refused to use her powers at all. A lot of her confidence was thanks to Clint. I think she viewed him as a father figure, and I couldn't blame her. He was the level headed one after all. I looked up as the car crawled to a stop and the doors opened.

"Steve, how are you?" T'Challa stated as I stepped out of the car, shaking my hand.
"I'm good, what about you?" I asked, watching as our bags were lifted out of the car.
"I'm very well, thank you. Miss Maximoff, how are you?" He said, smiling at Wanda.
"I'm alright." Wanda said, smiling slightly. "I just hope this works."
"I think we're all hoping that it does." He said, turning back to me as we walked towards the front doors. "Your friend is in good condition, we ran some tests this morning and everything seems to be okay. He's still under, but he should be alright when he wakes up." I nodded, saying a silent prayer that Bucky would be willing to try this. As we entered the room Bucky was being kept in, my stomach churned. Most of the walk here hand been silent, with only the odd burst of small talk every few minutes. I stood close to the glass, looking at Bucky's face. He looked slightly sad, but mostly peaceful. I suddenly felt my gut wrench. What if he wanted to stay like that? What if the only way he could ever be at peace was when he was frozen? I shook my head. I was willing to do anything to help him work through this, even if it meant staying up talking to the early hours of the morning.

I snapped my gaze to the door when I heard a loud bang.
"What was that?" I asked, stepping away from the glass cased bed.
"I'm not sure." T'Challa said, glancing at one of the people standing at the door.
"We have an incoming threat, sir." He said, looking at his phone.
"I'm going to put on my suit." T'Challa said, going to leave the door, only to be stopped in his track by the doors blowing open.
"No one move." Tony Stark said, the hand of his suit raised, palm pointing at each of us in turn.
"What are you doing here, Stark?" I asked, stepping closer to him.
"I said don't move, Cap." He said through obviously gritted teeth.
"How did you find this place, let alone the door?" T'Challa asked, gesturing behind his back to one of his people.

"It's not that difficult to track a plane once you know which one you're looking for." He said, starting to take a few steps towards us.
"Why are you doing this? I get that you're upset, but it wasn't his fault." I said, gesturing to Bucky.
"It was his hand that killed my parents, Steve." He said, pointing his palm towards me instead of T'Challa.
"It was The Winter Soldier, not Bucky. If he had been in control, he never would have done it." I said, my fists clenching and unclenching.
"They're the same person, Steve! When will you figure that out?" He yelled, moving his hand towards the glass cased bed. I stepped in front of it, looking directly at him.
"The time Clint was brain washed by Loki, you weren't exactly jumping to try and kill him. Why is this so different?" I asked, still standing between Tony and Bucky.
"Because he killed my parents!" Tony yelled. "Why can't you understand that, Steve? Just let me get my revenge."
"Bucky is the closest thing I have to family, Tony. You're the one that's not able to understand something here." I said, stepping towards him.
"Move, Cap. I'm not afraid to go through you as well." Tony said, the repulsor beam on his palm starting to glow. I prepared myself for the obvious pain, staring straight at his hand. I wasn't going to let him kill Bucky, even if it meant me losing my life along the way. I'd promised him I'd be with him 'til the end of the line.