Story 4 - Nightmares ch3

> There is so many italics I can't keep track so, I'm sorry but I didn't italicize it.
((You're probably better off following this fic (if you want to) on another site linked in the comment below))

"I'm just setting
I'm just setting the trap
And I'm not pulling, no
I'm not pulling for you, you're just pulling at me
I'm not a betting man, but this is a sure thing."

It's now been two weeks since Steve has been visiting Bucky in the dead of night. The Captain finds the opportunity of spending time with the Sergeant to be his favorite part of the day. He's become rather attached to his friend in new ways these past few weeks, in several aspects. He's attached to Bucky's laugh, Bucky's hair, his eyes, his mannerisms, everything.

Some nights have been shorter than Steve would have liked. Usually it's his fault for falling asleep so early, but never in his own bed. It's always after he had been talking with Bucky for at least a little while. And every time he's always carried back to his own bed and carefully tucked in. He wonders if perhaps subconsciously he falls asleep just to make this happen. The Captain loves being taken care of in such a small, lovely way, regardless of how meaningless it may seem to others. It's the glimmer of hope he has that Bucky cares for him in the same way he does. Well, probably not. It is merely carrying him to his own bed, which could indicate a want for him to not fall asleep in the Sergeant's bed, but there's no sense in overthinking such a simple action. Ignorance is bliss.

One of the more interesting nights involved the aftermath of a celebration. Not a big one, of any kind. It was Clint's birthday, and Nat threw him a surprise party. Of course, that had been difficult because when everyone shouted, "Surprise!" Clint merely made a face, as if he heard a car horn beep outside. It wasn't until Nat shoved his shoulder that he looked up from his phone and he realized what was going on. He wasn't as surprised as Natasha hoped he would be. Nonetheless he was still happy that she tried. After cake eating and gift exchanges (literally everyone gave him arrow based paraphernalia, which Tony found hilarious and was also his idea) Clint convinced the team to continue the festivities at one of the local bars, which actually didn't take much convincing. Even Bucky was game for a bit of alcohol.

"Maybe it'll be like the old times," he mentioned quietly to Steve as they all departed.

"Well, for you anyway. I can't get drunk." Steve shoved one hand in his pocket and held another one behind Bucky -- as if guiding him, but was careful not to touch him -- as they descended the stairs.

"That blows," Bucky mumbled, putting the hood of his sweatshirt up, and places both his hands in the pockets. He wanted to walk down the stairs at a quick and brisk pace, but everyone was ahead of him, taking their sweet time talking and laughing. He tried to wait patiently but found himself getting uncontrollably impatient. They had way too many flights of stairs to dilly dally. Steve threw an arm across Buck's back and quietly says, "I know." Although doubtful, it seems like it calms Bucky down. But Steve knew whenever it came to Bucky, you can never be too sure.

Finally reaching the bottom, the Avengers left the Towers and walked down the sidewalks of New York City. It was already dark, and hundreds of neon signs, street lights and car headlights lit the way. Steve rather enjoyed walks in New York City. He never really had the time to walk aimlessly and get lost, nor would anyone want to go with him. It was just the modern world had rather amazing qualities. There were still plenty of aspects the Captain would never understand (how could food cost that much?) but he enjoyed the scenery. He enjoyed the people (for the most part), and he admired the technology.

As they marched on, Nat fell onto Clint's shoulder and held his arm; Bruce and Tony spoke quietly to one another; Steve and Bucky walked a safe distance apart, noting their surroundings. However while Steve viewed the scenery, Bucky focused on every person that passed by, usually receiving a confused look in return. He would tug on his hood, wishing it would hide his face more than it actually did. Steve was attentive enough that he noticed Bucky becoming uncomfortable, but wasn't sure how to fix it. He longed to grasp his hand as a silent way to tell him it was okay, but this was obviously not an option. Instead he subtly walked closer to Bucky. When the Captain noticed the Sergeant become tense, his hand would defensively ghost the Sergeant's back. When he relaxed, Steve found himself relaxing as well.