Story 5 - Forever ch4

(Steve's POV)

I continued staring at the repulsor beam, still ready for the pain. Suddenly the lights in Tony's suit started to flicker, going completely black after a few seconds. Tendrils of red were wrapped around his suit, flowing from Wanda's hands.
"Tony, please, stop it." She said, releasing the magic.
"What did you do to me?" Tony asked, pulling the helmet of his suit off.
"I short circuited your suit." Wanda said, stepping towards Tony. I smiled slightly as Tony took a few steps back away from her.
"You can't do this, Wanda. He's a killer." Tony said, glaring at Bucky's unconscious form.
"And technically, so are you, Tony." Wanda said, stepping between myself and Tony. He stopped talking, stopped moving, his breath hitching slightly.
"How dare you..." He whispered, gritting his teeth slightly.
"Get out of here, Mr Stark." T'Challa said, some of his people starting to point guns at him.
"How am I supposed to get out of here when my suit is completely dead?" Tony asked, gesturing to the suit.
"My people will escort you in a private helicopter." T'Challa said, gesturing to two people, who started to lead Tony out.
"Don't think I'm just going to let you get away with this." Tony yelled as T'Challa's people led him out. The doors slammed shut as my mind began to focus on Bucky again.
"Let's get on with this before we have another interruption." Wanda said, walking closer to me. "I hope he agrees to try this."
"I hope so to." I said, watching as the glass casing was removed, the soft whirring of the machine going silent.

"It may take a few minutes for him to wake up." One of the doctors stated, looking up from his computer screen.
"I wouldn't be so sure." I said, laughing despite my nerves as Bucky groaned softly, opening his eyes.
"Wha-? Steve? Why am I awake?" Bucky asked, clearing his throat and blinking against the light.
"We wanted to try something." I said, my nerves building again.
"What is it?" He asked curiously, lifting his head off the bed slightly.
"Wanda, do you want to explain it?" I asked, glancing over at the brunette. She nodded, stepping over to us.
"I may be able to use my powers to rewire your brain, so to speak." She said, laughing slightly as Bucky shot me a worried look. "Don't worry, it won't hurt and you won't lose memory or anything, I'm just going to try and remove those 'trigger' words from your mind. Not completely, but they'll be stopped from triggering you." She explained, moving her hands around as she spoke.
"Steve, can I talk to you alone for a bit." Bucky asked, furrowing his brow slightly.
"Is there somewhere we can go?" I asked T'Challa.
"Yes, just go out that door. No one will disturb you in the hallway." He said, pointing to the doors.
"Then let's go." I said, giving Bucky a hand down to the floor and leading the way to the doors.
"It won't work, Steve." He said as soon as the doors swung shut.
"It might." I said, turning to face him.
"Do you really think HYDRA would have done something reversible?" He asked, running a hand through his hair.
"Wanda's strong, stronger than anyone I've seen before. You saw her take down Vision, he's virtually impossible to beat." I argued back, starting to pace.
"It won't work, Steve. It's impossible." He replied, sighing quietly and leaning back against the wall.
"Nothing's impossible. You used to tell me that every time I even considered giving up on trying to join the army." I said, stopping my pacing to rest a hand against his shoulder. He glanced down at it, sighing again.
"I still don't think it will work, Steve." He said, closing his eyes and tipping his head back against the wall. I quickly ran my eyes over his facial features when he closed his eyes.
"If not for yourself, try it for me, please." I begged, clenching my jaw slightly.
"Fine." He whispered, opening his eyes slowly.
"Thank you." I said, leading him back in.

"Are we still trying this?" Wanda asked, glancing at Bucky. He nodded, taking a seat.
"What's the worst that could happen, huh?" He asked, a spark of the old Bucky shinning through. Wanda laughed softly as she sat in front of him, hovering her hands around his head.
"I'm going to need you to relax completely, close your eyes if you have to." She said, smiling slightly. I swallowed thickly, saying a silent prayer that this would work.
"Alright." Bucky said, shifting slightly in his seat and closing his eyes, making his body and mind as relaxed as he could. I watched as the red tendrils poured from Wanda's hands, wrapping themselves around Bucky's head. After a minute or two she pulled back, looking over at me before back to Bucky.
"You can open your eyes." She said, playing with her rings.
"That's it? I was expecting agony." Bucky teased and I smiled. He seemed slightly more like his old self.
"желание. ржaвый. Семнадцать. Рассвет. Печь. Девять. добросердечный. возвращение на родину. Один. грузовой вагон." Wanda said, looking directly at Bucky. He gasped quietly, freezing at the mention of the first word and looking at me wide-eyed, a slight hint of betrayal evident in his eyes.