Story 5 - Forever ch13

(Steve's POV)

"Bucky, I'm coming in." I said firmly, giving him a few seconds before I started to open the door.
"Go away, Steve!" He yelled, his voice shaking quite badly. I opened the door fully, sighing when I saw him lying face down in bed, his food abandoned on the floor. His shoulders were shaking, obviously crying. It was so unlike the Bucky I knew in the forties. He would never allow me to see him cry.
"Bucky, I'm so sorry." I whispered, sitting down on the edge of the bed and reaching out to touch his shoulder gently. Before my had reached his shoulder, his hand shot out to grab my wrist, his eyes wild and filled with tears. "Bucky, calm down. I'm not gonna hurt you."
"Leave me alone." He mumbled, burying his face back in the pillow.
"No, I'm not going anywhere." I said, slowly lying down next to him. I didn't know whether this was the right time to do this or not. Was I just taking advantage of Bucky's display of weakness or would it comfort him? Very carefully, I wrapped an arm around Bucky and pulled him close. Slowly, Bucky lifted his head and rested it on my chest, his arms coming to wrap tightly around me.
"Steve..." Bucky mumbled, glancing up at me slowly.
"Yeah, Buck?" I asked, smiling softly.
"Took you long enough..." He said, wiping at his face slowly and beginning to smirk.
"What do you mean?" I asked, giving him a confused look.
"Oh, shut up and kiss me, punk." Bucky said, grinning at me like that cat that got the cream.
"W-What?" I asked, blushing brightly and looking at him with wide eyes.
"For goodness sake, Steve. Quit your blushing. I know you've been harbouring a huge crush on me since we were kids. I'm not stupid, Stevie." Bucky laughed, pressing his forehead against mine.
"Oh..." I mumbled, looking away from him.
"C'mere, punk." Bucky said fondly, cupping the back of my head and pulling me in for a soft kiss. Years of imagining the kiss couldn't have prepared me for the real thing. Bucky's lips were soft against my own, and what I was told my whole life was wrong felt so right. I lifted my hand to play with Bucky's hair gently, humming softly as I kissed him back.
"Jerk." I mumbled as he pulled away, a wide smile on his face.
"Punk." He replied, going back to lying against me, his arms wrapping around me slowly. I sighed happily, glancing around the room quietly.
"Our food's cold, you know." I stated, glancing at Bucky's abandoned food, still lying on the floor.
"Way to ruin the romantic moment, Steve." Bucky said, laughing quietly and shoving my shoulder gently. I laughed as well, resting my head against his. Dinner could wait. All I needed for now was the feeling of Bucky pressed up against my side.