Chapter 3: Sleep is for Suckers

Author's Note: William over there. ------>

I try, unsuccessfully I might add; to fall asleep for about two hours. I kick my pink silky sheets off of me and sit up. I look at my phone and see that it’s 10:13. I’m not even tired, I wasn’t tired at all, but I wasn’t gonna stay in the kitchen and discuss my nonexistent sex life with Jacob and Will. I just wasn’t gonna do it. No way, no how.

I grab my remote, turning the TV on. I quickly turn the volume up before it can wake anyone. I go to the TV guide, and go through the channels, stopping on one show that catches my attention. Family Guy. Before Mason went off to college, we would stay up all night watching Family Guy. Phil and mom used to be mad me watching it when I was so young, but I mean what could they do about it? Nothing, or so I thought. But Phil, being the step father he tries to be, locked everything on my TV that wasn’t rated PG. Do you know how much stuff on TV is rated G? No? Let me tell you. Nothing! Nothing is rated G, except for those shows that come on Nick Jr. Ya know what I mean, like The Backyardiagins, Dora the Explorer, Max and Ruby, Go Diego Go!, and that stupid show with the bubble things. Bubble Guppies or something like that. Well I got smart, I found out the password-it was simple, it was 1234. So basically I just watched whatever I wanted, I just had to keep the volume on my TV down, so they wouldn’t know.

As the Family Guy episode goes on a commercial, I get up from my bed, going to the bathroom. Ryder’s room is indeed right across the hall from mine, and I know this because the door is jet black, as opposed to the stark white that possesses everyone else’s door. Also it has an ‘R’ on it, so I mean, that was the main give away. I go to the bathroom, and quickly use it and wash my hands. As I’m leaving, I venture on downstairs. The house is large, but simple. As I walk through the downstairs area, I open the backdoor, and go out. There is a large pool that covers most of the O’Connor’s backyard. Even from the distance I can tell that the water is crystal blue, even in the darkness of the night sky. I sit down on the porch swing and swing myself slowly, pushing my body back and forth until I get a steady rhythm.

          “McKenna?” A voice calls.

I turn to the source of the voice, and see a dark figure standing in the doorway. “Yeah?” I call.

          “What are you doing out here?” He asks, as he steps out into the light courtesy of the porch light. I see that it’s Will. He’s changed out of his jeans and the blue t-shirt he was wearing and into a pair of sweatpants and a grey t-shirt.

          “I could ask you the same thing.” Is my witty reply.

He shrugs and sits down on the porch swing with me. Not too close, but not too far, I mean it’s a porch swing, it isn’t that big. “I don’t know; couldn’t sleep.”

          “Me either.” I say, pulling my knees up to my chest, and wrapping my arms around them.

          “So why’d you guys stop coming?” He asks a few minutes later.

          “It just got kinda hard after my dad died.” I tell him, as I look up at the stars.

          “I’m sorry about that.” He says softly.

          “It’s okay; I mean Phil’s nice I guess.”

          “Do you like him?” He wonders.

I nod, “Yeah, he’s cool. I mean he’s pretty bossy sometimes but I like him.”

          “So how come you had to come here? Not that I’m not glad you’re here but why?”