Chapter 11: Complete And Utter Ridiculousness

“McKenna.” I hear a voice say, shaking me.

          “What?” I groan, turning away from Ryder.

          “Get up.”

          “No.” I say grouchily.

          “Wake up.” Ryder says, as he grabs my shoulder and shakes me violently.

          “No, I don’t wanna.” I moan, pulling the cover over my head.

          “You’re gonna be later for work.” He tells me. “It’s 8:30.”

          “I don’t even have to be to work until 10.”

Ryder sighs, “McKenna get up, or I’ll pick you up.”

          “Sure.” I say sarcastically, as I keep my eyes clamped shut.

Suddenly I feel the cover being tore away from my body; and then I feel myself being lifted from the bed. I shriek, and open my eyes to see Ryder holding me in his arms bridal style. “What are you doing?” I ask clenching onto his shirt for fear that Ryder may drop me.

          “I told you that I was going to pick you up.” He says.

I scoff, “Well yeah, but I didn’t think you meant it.”

          “I’m a man of my word Bryant.”

          “O’Connor; please. Put me down…Gently.” I add.

          “You’re lucky you added that gently. Else I would have just dropped you.” Ryder says, as he puts me down.

          “That’s because I know you so well.”

Ryder runs his fingers through his long brown hair and says, “Right. Go get ready for work.”

          “Why’d you wake me up so early?” I wonder.

          “So we actually have time to eat today.”

I raise my eyebrows, suspicious of Ryder but I say, “Okay.” Then I walk out of his room, heading down the stairs.

I go down to the laundry room which is conveniently located between the living room and the kitchen. I pull the door open, and step into the large room. I open the dryer; and pull out my khaki short and the blue shirt which is my uniform. Helen said she’d order me some more uniforms, so hopefully they’re there today. I bound up the stairs, to the bathroom, and just as I’m about to walk in, Ryder comes out. Again, he’s wearing a towel wrapped around his waist, and his hair wet.

          “See? Short shower.” Ryder says smirking as he walks past me.

I roll my eyes and go into the bathroom. I lock the door behind me and take my clothes off. I get in the shower; determined to show Ryder that I can take a short shower if indeed I wanted to. I quickly shower; and shampoo my hair. Ten minutes later; I’m out. I get dressed quickly and then brush my teeth in the sink. I run the towel through my wet hair and then pull it into a low ponytail.

I go back in my room and put my pajamas in the dirty clothes hamper. I put on a pair of flip flops, and then walk back into Ryder’s room. “See? Short shower.” I say, mocking him.

Ryder’s sitting on his bed; fully dressed. He claps in mock appreciation. “McKenna Savannah Bryant, I have never been more proud of you in my life.”