Chapter 12: Ever Thought About Having A Kid?

A few hours later; that night I’m on the couch with a still sick Ryder. I would be in my room; but the paint fumes are still in there. Ryder’s asleep; and has been since I came in here two hours ago. I’m watching a movie on the TV. Well I’m not watching it, it’s just playing. My attention is really just nowhere. It’s 10:30 p.m. and I’m getting kinda tired. I don’t wanna wake Ryder up though; because it seems the only time he isn’t puking is when he’s asleep. I feel kinda bad for him, since he’s sick. But on the bright side; I don’t have to go to work tomorrow. I carefully get up from the couch; trying not to disrupt Ryder. I walk out of the living room, and make my way to Sarah and Ricky’s room. I knock on the door and I hear a faint, “Come in.”

I push the door open and walk into the room. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in here. Like nine years ago when I was eight. The room still looks the same though, big and spacious as ever. Uncle Ricky is lying on the bed, reading a book and Sarah is at a work table, typing away on her laptop.

          “Hi McKenna.” She greets me.

          “Hey Sarah.” I reply, standing by her. “I’m sorry about the whole paint thing.” I tell her, even though it’s all cleaned up now.

She waves her hand dismissively, “It’s fine. Is there something you wanted to talk about?”

          “I was wondering if maybe I could not be grounded anymore.” I ask. I know it’s a long shot; but Sarah’s kinda a push over, so it’s easy to persuade her. “I’ll be good; I promise.” I add.

Sarah looks up at me for a few seconds before she says, “Okay. But I expect you to behave yourself.”

          “I will; I promise!” I say, hugging her, “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” I leave their room; and go back to the living room where Ryder’s awake now. His face is pale and his eyes are trained on the ceiling.

          “Hey Champ.” I say to him, sitting back down.

          “Champ?” He asks, laughing lightly.

          “How are you feeling?”

          “Bad. What time is it?”

          “10:45.”

Ryder groans, putting the pillow over his face. “You need to go to your room.” I tell him.

          “Why?”

          “Because if you sleep on this couch; you’ll mess up your back.”

          “Help me?” He asks.

I stand up, and grab his hand. I pull him up; well not really, he just gets up but I help him…kinda. We go up the stairs to Ryder’s room and he collapses on the bed and yawns. “I’m sleepy.”

          “Go to sleep then.” I tell him.

          “No, I need to take a shower.”

I go over to his drawer and pull it open. “What are you doing?” He asks me from the bed.

          “I’m getting you clothes to sleep in. What do you want?”

          “A pair of boxers and a shirt.” He tells me.

I look through the drawers, and fish out a blue t-shirt and a pair of blue and white striped boxers. I close the drawer and take the clothes to him. “Thank you.” He says.