Chapter 6: You're Not Very Smart Are You?

"McKenna get up.” A voice says close to my ear.

I groan and roll over in my bed; turning my back on the voice. I feel a hand on my shoulder, shaking me violently. I move away from the touch, and clench onto my pillow. “Go away.”

          “McKenna if you don’t get up right now, I’m leaving you.”

          “Go then.” I tell him, sleepily.

I hear his footsteps retreat, and then I spring up in the bed remembering that I have to go to work today. Ryder turns around as he reaches the door. “Better hurry. It’s 9:14.”

          “Thanks for waking me up.” I tell him.

          “Yeah.” He says, and then leaves the room, closing my door behind him.

I didn’t account on Ryder to waking me up, I actually have an alarm on my phone that I specifically entitled, ‘Work’, set for 9:00 so that I wouldn’t oversleep. I look around for my phone and find it on the floor. It must have fallen off the bed; and anyway it’s on silent. Well I feel smart.

I get out of the bed and stretch. I pull the silky pink sheet off the bed, throwing it on the floor; and then the comforter. I hate it when my bed’s not made. I always make it before I go anywhere. Even home in Texas. I guess it’s because when I was younger my mom used to make me make it; I guess it kinda just rubbed off on me. I spread the pink sheet out over it and then the duvet. I fluff the pillows, and fold the cover back at the top. A knock comes at my door a few minutes later, “9:26.”

          “Okay Ryder!” I call back through the door.

I go over to my desk where my uniform is neatly folded. I was gonna take a shower; but I don’t have time. I guess it’s a good thing I took one last night then. I take off my t-shirt and pull on a bra and then the light blue uniform shirt Helen gave me. It’s a bit roomy in the shirt; but it’ll work. I pull down the shorts I slept in and then pull on the khaki ones. I go to my closet where I’ve stored my shoes and slide my feet into a pair of black flip-flops.

I grab my toothbrush and leave my room going towards the bathroom. Ryder’s coming out with a towel wrapped around his waist and his brown hair damp. “Are you just now taking a shower?” I ask him, though it’s obvious.

          “Yeah; because unlike some people, I know how to take a short shower.” He says.

          “Hey I can take one, I just choose not to. Long baths relax me.”

          “Whatever.” Ryder retorts, walking towards me. Then he says, “You look like a camp counselor.”

          “Are camp counselor’s cute?” I ask putting my hands on my hips.

Ryder looks at me for a second before saying, “Some.” And then he goes into his room, leaving me with my thoughts.

He’s mysterious, that’s for sure. If I hadn’t known him since I was born, then he’d scare me. But since I have; he doesn’t. I go in the bathroom, and fan the steam caused by Ryder’s hot shower away. I grab the toothpaste, and squirt it out on my electric toothbrush. I turn it on, and let it vibrate for a minute before I start brushing my teeth. Two minutes later, I spit the toothpaste into the spacious sink, and grab a face towel from the closet. I wash my face, and then go back to my room. I sit down on my bed, and pick up my phone. It’s 9:30. I grab my hair brush and yank it through my hair and then pull it into a low ponytail.