Chapter 5: I Don't Want Your Pity, McKenna

Will and I get into his car; which is like Todd’s except his is white. We pull on our seatbelts, and he says, “So where ya wanna go?”

          “I’m not sure. Somewhere in L.A. though, since there’s not much in Vernon.” I say.

          “True, true.” He says, starting his car.

Will backs out of the parking lot, and onto the street. “Let’s go to The Dairy Bar.” He says.

          “I thought you said you were ‘starving’?” I ask him.

He nods, “I am, ice cream will solve that.”

          “I don’t really think ice cream will help.” I say skeptically, “But okay.”

A few minutes later; Will parks in the parking lot of The Dairy Bar and we both get out. We go up to the door, which I open, and go in.

          “So what kind do you want?” He asks.

          “Umm.” I say, as I scan the board with my eyes, “I want a banana split.”

Will orders it and him a butter pecan ice cream cone, and then pays the $5.75. “I could have paid ya know.” I say to him, as we wait for ours.

Will shrugs, “I know; just being nice.”

          “You’ve always been nice. By far the nicest O’Connor.” I tell him.

Will chuckles, “Yeah, I guess so.” We get out ice cream soon after that and we sit in a booth.

          “So a job?” He asks, licking his cone.

I nod, “Yup. Down at the pier tomorrow; I have to be there at ten a.m.”

          “That’s pretty early.”

          “Yeah; Todd said he would convince Ryder to bring me; but I don’t know. I think Ryder will say no.”

Will shrugs, “I dunno McKenna; I bet he’d say yes.”

          “But he hates me.”

          “He doesn’t hate you. He just likes to play…a lot.”

I laugh, “Yeah I guess so. He hasn’t changed since the last time I’ve been here.”

          “He’s been through a lot in the seven years you’ve been gone. I know he seems like a misfit; but it’s just his way of getting past it.” He tells me.

I push my spoon in my mouth and chew the banana chunk, “What do you mean?”

          “Ask him about it; he’ll tell you.” Will promises, licking his cone.

          “Hmm, okay. I’ll ask him about it when we get home.”   

          “You just referred to Vernon as home. You realize that right?”

I didn’t realize it; and it’s not like the place is growing on me. I still hate it. Nothing against the town except for the fact that it’s so small. I shake my head, “I didn’t realize.”

A while later, Will and I leave. As were in the car heading back to Vernon, Will’s phone rings. He reaches down; taking his eyes off the road for a fraction of a second, and grabs his phone.