Prologue: Honeymoon

October 17

Susanna awoke just after dawn and stretched, not minding that she was currently ensnared in Sherlock's arms. Her movements stirred him awake, although he still had his face buried in her hair. She exhaled and ran her hand up along his arm, "Good morning, Sherlock."

He hummed and kissed the nape of her neck, "Morning, Love."

"What shall we do today?"

"Mmm... Stay."

"Worn out, darling?" She giggled and rolled over to face him. They'd had a busy day and night. Visiting the declassified bunker and then trail riding, among the previous day's activities.

"We've spent the past few days exploring and hiking and doing almost everything around here as a couple. It's our last day. Cuddle with me..."

Susanna smiled, "Sounds wonderful, darling." He hummed and pulled her closer. She rested her head against his chest and wrapped her arms around him. As her hands brushed against his back he let out an almost imperceptible noise.

It had taken a bit for him to be comfortable discussing the scars that mottled his skin, especially on his back. She hadn't seen them until their second night, but that was because he'd made sure she didn't. Susanna understood though, and if there was a specific place she treated with the gentlest care, it was his back.

Susanna ran her hands gently up and down, along his spine and shoulder blades. Her fingers danced along, garnering a series of soft, low sounds. Sherlock tucked his head into the crook of her neck and relaxed against her.

Eventually he twisted his head and went in for a deep kiss. She met him midway and moved one hand to his hair, stroking through it. When Sherlock peeled away, he loosened one arm from Susanna's waist and lifted his hand to her face, gently tracing it before initiating a second kiss.

"You're in a lovey mood, darling..." Susanna hummed.

He looked at her, his eyes intense, "Love?"

"Yes, Sherlock?"

"I don't want you to feel like I'm neglecting you."

"What-?"

"Ever, Susanna."

She exhaled and put one hand against his cheek, "So that's why you've been so... touchy about doing every activity together..?"

"... Perhaps."

"Sherlock, if you don't want to do certain activities with me, you don't have to. That's not neglect. And you've never neglected me in the time we've been together," She propped herself into a sitting position, "What's brought this up, anyway, darling?"

Sherlock fell silent, averting his gaze and playing with her soft red brushed cotton nightgown. Susanna ran her fingers through his curls as she waited for his answer. Finally he inhaled, "I was just thinking a lot last night, about how most couples lapse out of the honeymoon period shortly after their wedding and I fear that I will become so accustomed to your constant companionship that I will begin to neglect you," His eyes dimmed, "I could never neglect or forget John. But I have an unshakable feeling that I will fail you. And neglect you."

"Sherlock, you are not a neglectful person. You're very aware of and devoted to the people closest to you. You may shut out others during cases, but you always come back. Always."

"I meant as in neglect you as my wife and lover, Susanna," Sherlock sat up as well, "I'm still not sure I deserve you and I know that if I screw anything up, it's over."

"Just the fact that you're aware that you could make a mistake is proof enough that you most likely won't make it. Don't let your fear of failure cripple you though, Sherlock."

"How?"

"You're not perfect. I'm not perfect. We'll both make mistakes but remember, we will both learn and grow together from them as long as we keep putting in the extra effort. As Winston Churchill said, Failure is not Fatal."

"Winston Churchill? Who was he?"

"British Prime Minister during the Second World War..? Another of his famous quotes is Keep Calm and Carry On?"

"He said that?"

"Yes."

"Do you always remember quotations that well?"

"Depends. Do you not remember history well?"

"If it isn't useful then I delete it. I deleted the solar system-"

"Yes, John often teases about that. But Churchill?"

"I deleted everything about Margaret Thatcher too," He sighed and rested back against the pillows, outstretching his arms, "Too much. Back to bed."

Susanna chuckled shook her head, "Alright but I'm ordering room service in half an hour."

"Very well. Belgian Waffle then."

She rolled her eyes and dipped back down into her new husband's arms. He immediately pulled her to his chest and she pressed a kiss against it, "Sherlock?"

"Mm?"

"I Love You."

Sherlock smiled, "I Love You too."

Thank you for reading!! Stay tuned!!