Labor Day

A/N:: Disclaimer- This isn't the first time I've written a birth scene and I've done my research because so many books, TV shows and movies misrepresent and sensationalize labor and birth. I won't make it graphic but I am trying to make it as realistic as possible.

Early Morning- January 29

Sherlock had slept intermittently throughout the night, keeping tabs on Susanna's contractions as she slept on and off, and monitoring the baby. He'd checked her twice and she was dilating slowly but steadily. Her being completely effaced helped. He also fielded messages and calls from their family and friends who had received the news, sent out hourly updates to the expectant grandparents and their inner circle, and kept track of any tips or advice that came in.

Sherlock looked at his watch. Five AM. She's been in latent labor for approximately thirteen hours. He recorded this with the contraction log and looked over the entries, "Fifteen minutes apart, thirty five seconds long," He looked at his watch again, "She's due for the next one." The brunette got up from his chair and quietly walked into the bedroom. Susanna was curled on her left side, cushioned everywhere with pillows. As the contractions had built in intensity, she had had more trouble getting comfortable, thus the blankets were currently twisted up and tossed to the side.

He waited and marked when the next contraction started, based on Susanna's unconscious reaction to it. Sherlock timed the length and recorded that it was still thirty five seconds in duration. Susanna remained asleep and Sherlock silently exited the room.

Once again he triple checked that the go-bag was ready to go. With how Susanna was progressing, he approximated that they would head to the birth center around noon, or perhaps even sooner.

Another hour passed and he continued monitoring. To his dismay, the contractions started to slow down. A long walk and exercises should get them going again. He went into the kitchen and made up a light breakfast, sensing that Susanna would be awake shortly.

She woke up around six fifteen and slowly walked out to the kitchen, rubbing her lower back, "Morning..."

He planned a gentle kiss on her forehead, "Good Morning, Love. How did you rest?"

"Well... not the best night's sleep. But it was okay."

"I kept monitoring your contractions. They've slowed down to twenty minutes apart."

"Mmm, a walk would be great."

"I was just about to suggest that. Accompanied by exercises before and after." Susanna nodded. He set out her breakfast and she ate, experiencing another contraction halfway through.

After some exercises and another contraction, Sherlock helped her get dressed and they went out for a long walk. By the time they got back it was seven thirty and the contractions had begun to pick back up. He had her take a long soak in the shower and then updated everyone. After the shower they checked her dilation again. To their satisfaction she had dilated to two centimeters.

Susanna got onto the yoga ball and did more exercises, still talking throughout the contractions but after a while it was clear that they were getting more powerful, as well as closer and shorter. Sherlock helped Susanna with many of the movements and kept her occupied and motivated by engaging her about what the baby would look like and who they might take after more. If he wasn't then he was timing contractions, replying to inquirers, fetching a snack or something to drink. He also kept her from looking at the time- which decreased her stress since she wasn't focused on how long she'd been in labor.

At about eleven thirty in the morning the contractions had, with two more walks and another bath soak, come down to eight minutes, lasting fifty seconds. They were more regular and Susanna couldn't talk or move as much during them. Sherlock began bringing her more ice chips than anything else and applied hot compresses to her lower back.

She took a deep breath and let it out, "Sherlock..."

"Yes, Love?"

"Help me stand up." He braced her, gently lifting her to her feet.

"Another walk, Love?"

She shook her head, "No. I just feel like swaying." Sherlock nodded, noting the change in movement preference. He held her upright and she threw her right arm over his shoulder, unable to lift her left arm high enough, and leaned into him for support as she started to sway back and forth. Sherlock eased her through the movements and soon noticed that she wasn't talking at all during the contractions, instead emitting long, low sounds and breathing more deeply.

A while later he decided to check over the contraction logs, "Susanna."

"Mmm..."

"Six minutes apart now, lasting sixty seconds. You can't talk anymore through contractions and you're changing preference of movement," He smiled, "I believe it's time we called the birth center."

"Let's check how dilated I am first."

"Very well," They went back to the bathroom and she'd dilated to three centimeters, "Alright, I'll go ahead and call the birth center." She nodded, more focused on the oncoming contraction than him. The nurse at the center asked a few questions and gave them the all clear. Sherlock then called their parents to let them know.

Mycroft's sedan had been parked just down the street waiting for the signal, so as soon as Sherlock called him it was dispatched. Sherlock hurried and slipped Susanna's coat onto her. She grinned, "Showtime."

"Indeed."

Thank you for reading!