First Move {Susanna}

December 18

I take as deep a breath as I can as I try to absorb what my Dad just told me over the phone.

"C-Come again?"

"She's made her first move, Susanna... Paul and Thomas were leaving the studio and a hijacked Cab ran them over as they were crossing the street. The driver made a mad dash afterwards but another sniper took them out. Paul should be alright but Thomas incurred serious injuries and has been taken to the ICU."

I stifle a sniffle, "I'm going to come to the hospital then, Dad-"

"No. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT leave your flat, Susanna. Even if she didn't make a strike against you, the weather is dangerous and you're in no condition to try and make it across London. I will keep you updated as to their conditions but if you leave your flat I cannot guarantee that you won't also be joining them in the hospital room or worse. Have I made myself perfectly clear?"

"Yes, Dad."

"Good. Stay safe."

"Likewise."

He hangs up and I lean against the armrest, burying my face in one hand as I start crying. It's been days since we determined that Doina Funar, the only daughter of deceased arms dealer Mihai Funar whom my Dad took out over thirty years ago, is the one seeking vengeance.

Mycroft and Dad have been working with Sherlock and John to try and locate her. But the most progress they've achieved is apprehending more pawns and a few couriers, if Doina doesn't use a sniper to kill them before they can get them to talk. Only two have dodged the bullets but their knowledge was minimal as to Doina herself, so they weren't of much help.

I seriously thought that she would target me first, but the more we learn about her the more it seems that she's been dancing around me. Now it feels like she's just biding time until the perfect moment to strike. I haven't been able to leave the flat in days because Sherlock and Dad are paranoid that the second I open the front door I'm going to get shot through the brain. I know they're both rightfully worried for my safety but I hate being confined to the same square footage for twenty four hours every day.

Rubbing my head and wiping away tears, I try to get myself to calm down. Remember the baby. You need to stay calm and cool. But I can't. So I decide to ride out the sobbing until I can collect myself again. I curl up on my side in Sherlock's chair, as much as I can anyways, and throw my arms around my body.

I hear the front door opening downstairs and in the back of my mind I know it's probably Sherlock coming home for the day. Yet even that doesn't soothe me and I just continue weeping over what happened to my brothers.

The kitchen door opens and I hear Sherlock walk in. In two seconds maximum I feel his warm presence in front of the chair. He kneels down and cups my face, "Susanna, are you and the baby alright?" I manage to nod and he slips one arm under my upper body, running his other hand gently along my topside, "Funar?"

I nod again, "T-T-Thomas... a-a-and P-Paul... Hospital..."

"How bad?"

"T-Thomas is in the ICU. Doina hijacked a cab and had the driver run them over on their way h-home-!"

"Shh, shh," Sherlock hushes as I lapse into another fit, "Susanna, calm down. This isn't good for the baby. Come on, just breathe." After a minute or so, the tears subside.

"Sh-Sherlock..."

"Yes, Love?"

"You have to find her."

"I will. Now come on, I think you need to get to bed early and relax-"

"But I don't want to relax, Sherlock, I want to know that my brothers are okay!"

"I'm sure your father will keep us apprised. But you need to rest, Love." I sigh and nod, finally opening my dewy eyes. Sherlock helps me sit up and stand, then carries me to the bedroom and sets me down on the bed. I try to reach my slippers but can't, and before I can kick them off Sherlock removes them for me, setting them neatly in front of the bed.

"Thank you, Darling..."

He smiles softly and eases me back against the pillows, "You're welcome, Love." I watch as he quickly locks up the flat and feeds Ziva before changing into pajamas and climbing in on my side, for my comfort. Then he pulls me as close as he can and runs his hands slowly through my hair. Resting my head against his chest, I still sniffle a bit and my body resists, but eventually I feel myself floating on the borders of consciousness.

"Sherlock?" I ask tiredly.

"Yes, Susanna?"

"Do you think she'll strike again and... this time it'll be me?" He squeezes me close and presses a kiss to my forehead.

"I am doing everything in my power to catch her before she can hurt you or our child, Susanna. She won't get away with what she did to your brothers. I will find her, I promise." He buries his nose and lips in my hair and I press my hand over his heart, feeling it beat steadily underneath my fingertips.

"I won't let her hurt our child, Sherlock."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

He sighs, "Promise me one more thing, Love."

"What would that be?"

"Don't leave me." I frown and tilt my head up.

"I won't. I promise."

Thank you for reading!