ICU

Stable. They're both stable.

Sherlock didn't bother to stifle the few tears that escaped his eyes. They'll survive, "Susanna is stable but the nature of her abdominal wound is... sensitive. The bullet caused significant internal bleeding so she is priority. We don't plan on her waking up for a few more hours. They're finishing up with her and she'll be moved to the ICU shortly."

Mycroft exchanged a few more words and then the brothers started for the ICU to see John. Sherlock picked up the remains of his phone and dumped them in the trash on the way, "Sherlock."

"What, Mycroft."

"They'll make it."

"At what cost, though?" Sherlock grunted, "The bullet that entered Susanna's abdomen caused internal bleeding and the nurse said it was sensitive. The damage may be permanent or at least long term given the number of organs it could have penetrated. What if it hit a kidney or..."

Mycroft clapped him on the shoulder, "Focus on the positive, Sherlock. John and Susanna are alive and will recover."

"Mmm."

Mycroft waited outside while Sherlock went to see John. By a stroke of luck the army doctor was stirring, which was relieving to the detective. He stood next to the gurney and took stock of the bandages and wrappings and sutures over John's body. Of each machine attached to him. If I had just said no or at least kept track of John and Susanna... Sherlock lamented and finally looked at himself. He was painted over in a film of blood- mostly his on hands, trousers and shirt. But it was also in his curls and on his face from all the hair pulling and crying. I don't imagine they'd enjoy seeing me all bloody.

Sherlock used the loo very quickly to wipe off as much blood and dirt as he could. He didn't need either of them worried for him. By the time he came back John was very close to waking up so the brunette hovered impatiently at the bedside.

Finally the blogger let out a long grunt and opened his eyes, squinting from the lights, "Sherlock?"

"Yes, John?" The doctor's eyes blinked and he shook his head while gaining his bearings, "John?"

"Turn up the morphine, will you... 'feel bloody awful."

"Of course," Sherlock upped the dosage a bit, "There you go."

"Ta," The blonde looked around, "Where's Susanna?"

"In transit to the ICU. You arrived first got to the theater first."

"How is she?"

"Wouldn't you like to be assured that you are okay?"

"Sherlock, she probably saved my bloody life and you're asking me if I want to know if my bloody shoulder will heal? Why aren't you with her?" John retorted, but he hadn't expected his best friend to flinch when he raised his tone about Susanna, "... Mate?"

"I can't face her, John."

"Of course you can."

"No, I can't. Because I allowed the picnic, I allowed you both to be severely injured and yet I refused to accompany my own wife in the ambulance."

John saw and felt how desperately conflicted his best friend was. He sighed, "Sherlock, go and be with her."

"She won't want to see me. I let her nearly get killed."

"She will, Sherlock. You need to be there when she wakes up- whenever she does anyway. This?" John motioned to his wounds, "This is nothing and it is minor because Susanna figured out what was happening and tried to get me out of the way. She put herself on the line for me. And, more importantly, for you."

"For... me?" Sherlock paused. The blogger exhaled.

"Sherlock, she would not be in the ICU if she didn't understand you and love you so darn much."

Sherlock set his jaw, "Explain."

John shook his head, "No. You go see her and ask her yourself," He grimaced, "Thank her for me too, will ya?"

Sherlock protested and didn't leave John's side, even when the nurse informed them that Susanna was just across the corridor. Finally John had to kick him out two hours later- wanting to get some sleep without Sherlock watching him like a hawk. So the sullen detective left and walked slowly to the door of Susanna's room. Mycroft was inside conversing with a doctor. The two walked out and the elder turned to the younger, "She'll be up soon, brother mine. You'd best get in there."

"What was the doctor discussing with you?"

"Nothing you need to know at the moment. Focus on your wife." Sherlock inhaled and finally stepped into the room.

He sat down in the chair beside the gurney and couldn't bring himself to hold her hand like he normally would. He just brushed his hand over hers before resting it on top. He didn't say a word for a long while but when she didn't wake up as soon as expected he whimpered, "... Wake up, Love, for me, and for William."

Ta!