The Married Detective (II)

Sherlock got out of the taxi and swiftly approached the crime scene, breathing in eagerly. He most certainly had enjoyed his and Susanna's Honeymoon, it had been more than fantastic, but he was glad to be back at the game.

It had been a well kept secret that Sherlock, the infamous sociopath, had actually married another human being. Sure, his Stag Party had been at Scotland Yard but there wasn't anyone there who Sherlock didn't approve of knowing about the wedding. Dimmock and Andersen knew, but it had been a fun game keeping everything from Sally. Lestrade had seen fit to put her on an undercover bust so she hadn't been around.

Although with his wedding band proudly displayed on his ring finger, the secret would no longer be so discreet. But he didn't care. He'd had John and Missus Hudson by his side for years and now he had Susanna. He more than happily wore the gleaming titanium symbol of his marriage to her.

"Hello, freak." And of course Donovan was back. She didn't seem to notice the ring but gave him a hostile smile anyway.

"Sally," He walked past her to Lestrade and Andersen, who were looking over the two corpses. Two males with gunshot wounds to the abdomen. Sherlock sighed, "Lestrade. Andersen. Even you could have figured this out."

"We might have but there's a detail that jammed up the works."

"Do tell." Sherlock bent down to examine the bodies and took out his magnifying glass.

"Witness accounts agree that there was a shooting last night but they didn't see these two. The witnesses say that they saw three other men roughing it up before two drew guns and fired, but they all ran off."

"These two were dumped here, and the bullets went clean through. Close range wounds. Most likely gang related." Sherlock pronounced, putting away his magnifier. A not so subtle gasp erupted from Donovan.

"Freak! You're-!" He turned around to half face her, "You, a psychopath, got hitched?" She'd finally seen the band throwing off the soft gray light of the London morning.

"High functioning sociopath, Sally. And yes. As of October tenth, I am married to Susanna Holmes neé Markwardt."

"She actually agreed to marry you? She didn't dump you at the altar or vice versa?"

"Sally-" Lestrade attempted to intervene.

"Makes sense. Of course another psychopath would marry another psychopath. Two freaks together- what is the world coming to?"

Sherlock locked his jaw, "Sally, Susanna is not a psychopath. She is simply more intelligent and mature than you. She's not a freak. She's my wife and I chose to marry her."

"And you didn't mix up a solution to make her agree to that?"

"Sally, that's enough. Susanna married Sherlock of her own free will and neither are psychopaths." Lestrade cut in.

Donovan made a face and turned on her heel, stomping away to the police cruiser. Sherlock unclenched his fists and exhaled. It wasn't that she had called him a freak and psychopath that upset him. That didn't bother him and hadn't for years. It was that she continued to attack Susanna and had now targeted their marriage.

Lestrade and Andersen, who had long fallen out with Sally and became a friendly acquaintance, walked over to Sherlock. The former spoke, "She's been tense all week. I finally put her in for a transfer to a new district and she's had the higher ups on her back about behavior complaints."

"Yes, I can see that, Garrett."

"Sherlock, you okay?"

"Fine." Sherlock replied. He subconsciously rubbed his fingers together to better feel his wedding band.

"You never said whether your trip was nice."

"While your attempt to distract me from Sally's bullying is futile, I will tell you that the honeymoon was excellent. In fact we brought something back for everyone."

"Oh?"

"Including you of course, Gary."

"Seriously?" Lestrade was taken aback.

"Of course. You're my friend and acted as one of my Groomsmen. You deserved as much."

Lestrade almost hugged, or fainted, but didn't do either. Instead he stared at his genius friend for a minute. Sherlock was still himself but he had come a long way from the Sherlock Lestrade had first met.

"You have an impressive history and resume. This has been an excellent interview and you seem to fit the position very well, Miss Markwardt."

"Holmes, now. I just got married."

"Okay. Well, Miss Holmes, will your new marriage affect your availability?"

Susanna shook her head, "No. My husband works full time as well, in a similar field, and supports me getting this job."

"Plans for children?"

"Not immediately, but we have discussed it and if we do want to have a family then I am certain I can perform just as well outside the lab. I can work with computers and tech just as well."

"Missus Holmes, at Loman-Bullard we take the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health of our employees seriously. The healthier, the better and happier. We understand that people want to have families or spend time with their partners. While we will make concessions on an individual basis, we will still expect your best work."

"And you will have it, sir."

The director of the Forensic Department nodded and inhaled, "Well then, I will go over a few more things and get back to you." He stood and she followed suit. They shook hands.

"Thank you very much, Doctor Maclaine."

Thank you for reading!!