Bringing Home Baby

To their relief, there wasn't a small army awaiting their return to 221B when the SUV pulled to the curb. Sherlock got out first and lifted the carseat out with one hand, balancing it to prevent jostling William, then assisted Susanna as she slowly climbed out. She grabbed the bag and looped arms with Sherlock, "I'm glad we were able to bring him home today."

"Indeed. I much prefer avoiding hospitals and I believe William would not have tolerated an extended stay."

"Mmm..," Sherlock unlocked the door and they walked inside. Susanna tried to reclaim the carrier but Sherlock held William just out of arms length, "Sherlock."

"Your shoulder is still healing and the carseat is heavier than your current threshold will allow you to lift without straining."

"Alright, alright. You win."

"Good." Susanna led the way upstairs, albeit it was a slow trek as she was all around sore and tired. Sherlock followed closely and kept his hand over her back.

Once they'd made it into the living room she beelined for the sofa and Sherlock set William down beside her. He was still awake, with eyes straining to make sense of his new world. Susanna smiled brightly and undid the restraints, gently easing up up from the carseat and cradling him, "Welcome home, William!" She cheered softly and was rewarded with coos. Sherlock noticed how unlike with him, William required both of her arms to cradle him. He fit quite snugly into them.

"To 221B Baker Street." Sherlock added on, earning a chuckle from Susanna.

"Yes, perhaps one of the most famed addresses in London." She remarked. Sherlock put up his coat and scarf, then went into the bedroom to retrieve his blue dressing gown and her red one. He hadn't worn his blazer to the birth center and probably wouldn't for a short while.

He returned and draped Susanna's dressing gown over her shoulders, "Tea, Love?"

"Yes, please."

"Very well." Sherlock went back to the kitchen and put some tea on. Neither had eaten since the previous day and Susanna was showing it. So he fried some eggs as well. She might not be very hungry but she should at least be able to keep eggs down. Once the tea was ready he plated the eggs and brought out the cuppa with them. He set it all down on the table in front of her.

"Thank you, Darling," She readjusted and held William up, "Here." He hadn't held him since that morning, so the detective smiled warmly and pressed a kiss to her forehead before picking William up.

William waved his fists around, startled when he was transferred to his father's arms. He let out a soft warning rasp, indicating he was about to cry. Sherlock frowned, "It's me, William. There's no need for that."

But to no avail the newborn started crying, "Oh, what's the matter, Honey?" Susanna inquired, immediately on her feet. Sherlock adjusted William in his arms again and gently rocked him, not wanting to be incompetent at soothing their child.

"He's not quite as accustomed to me, is all. If he was hungry he would've cried before I picked him up," Sherlock replied, "Sit back down and eat. You need to start rebuilding your energy."

"Are you sure?" He knew that William's crying was as undesirable and grating for Susanna as it was for him. But he had to be able to calm William down on his own.

"Positive."

She still looked ready to reclaim their baby boy from him but slowly sat back down, "Alright." She watched the two closely, ready to spring up and rescue one or both if she felt the need arise.

Sherlock continued rocking William and carried him over to his chair. He sat down and brought him up to his chest as he had earlier that morning. Nimbly he undid one more button before resting William atop his upper chest, just under his chin, and covering them both with his dressing gown, "Shh, William..."

It took a few minutes of gentle hushing and assurances before William stopped crying. Both parents relaxed once he did. Sherlock saw Susanna smiling happily from the sofa and his lips curled. She giggled delightedly and snapped a few pictures, "Definitely a moment to remember."

"Naturally," Then Sherlock got a distinct feeling that he was being recorded, "Are you taping me, Susanna?"

"For posterity," She hummed, "How does it feel to have him safely home, Daddy?"

"... It feels... better than when I solve a level ten case." Was the only response he could come up with. Susanna giggled and stopped recording, slowly standing and walking over. She planted a loving kiss on his cheek.

"You're going to be an awesome father, Darling. You're already doing wonderfully well," She whispered and softly stroked William's dark, feathery hair. Sherlock, on an impulse, moved his hand upwards and rested it over her hand. She smiled and lifted her other hand to run it through his curls, "Thank you, Darling, for being such an excellent partner. I might not have been able to endure so long without your support."

Sherlock couldn't reply to that, at least not verbally. He instead turned his head and kissed her hand. Susanna knew what he was trying to communicate though. She played with his curls for a while longer and then returned to the sofa, content to finish her eggs and cooling tea. As she did, she got a couple of texts.

When can I come see William? -BA

When would be a good time for me and Rosie to come meet William? She's very excited. -JW

Susanna smiled and replied, telling them to give their new family a few days to settle in together and adjust to new routines. Missus Hudson would be back soon and she'd obviously meet William then, but Susanna didn't want him meeting too many people at once.

She looked back over at her husband and son. He can't figure out how to say it, but I know Sherlock loves William.

Thank you for reading!!