A Walk with William

May

Susanna looked out of the windows again and sighed, "It really is a lovely day. A rare sunny one with a light blue sky," William only cooed in response, tucked in her arms. She hummed and walked back to Sherlock's chair, "I think it's a perfect day for a walk. Maybe surprise Daddy while we're out?"

Sherlock had returned to fieldwork a week before and had been doing the equivalent of overtime to catch up on cases and fix any and all screw ups made by Scotland Yard. But he had also been diligent in trying to keep standard work hours. Susanna appreciated his efforts to provide a semblance of normality- but she knew it was difficult and hindering to him when he stopped in the middle of a case to come home. She was happy as long as he called and kept her updated, and came home without some injury or another. John helped enforce this, siding with Susanna.

William was just over three months old and Susanna felt comfortable taking him out for short trips besides to his appointments- Speedy's, Brooklyn's flat, Thomas's Studio, and others. But they hadn't been out for a long walk yet and she was craving one.

Susanna hummed returned to the window, "Fresh air is exactly what we both need. A long walk it is." She quickly changed into a purple shirt, a dark blue windbreaker with zipper pockets, breathable long black jogger pants, socks and her worn, comfortable walking shoes. Then she changed William and got him into a full coverage, dark blue onesie with a hood and printed with anchors. Then she got him into his front facing carrier, where he was securely held in place against her chest.

William squirmed a bit but settled down, "Are you going to sleep the whole way, honey?" She chuckled and kissed his head before slipping her phone and wallet into her pockets and slowly descending the stairs. She bade Missus Hudson a hello and hurried out.

The temperature was perfect and luckily there weren't many people out either. Susanna assumed a leisurely pace and talked to William as she walked. He rewarded her with coos, sighs, and even a few growls that she played along with. He hadn't laughed yet although Susanna figured he could at any time. He was a very happy, smiley baby, so they were excited to hear his first giggles to accompany the smiles.

About ten minutes in, Susanna decided to text Lestrade to ask after her husband.

Hey, Greg. Are you at a scene with Sherlock? -S

It took several minutes but he did respond.

Hey, Susanna. Yep, pretty gruesome triple homicide. He's calling it a level nine. It's got him wired. -GL

Where? I'm out on a walk with William. Could I just stop by and maybe bring lunch? -S

She could see the DI grinning when his response came in.

I don't see why not! Besides, I'd much rather have you be the one bringing William to a crime scene than Sherlock. Which he might do soon anyways. -GL

He sent the location and lunch orders for him and John. Susanna stopped off on her route and picked up chips and sandwiches, plus some bottled water. She power walked the rest of the way to the crime scene. The whole block was cordoned off and Lestrade had to meet her at the tape to escort her into the perimeter, "Hullo, Susanna! How's William liking his walk?"

She smiled, "He's been pretty talkative with me. I think he's enjoying the fresh air and change of scenery. Oh, here's lunch!" Lestrade quickly relieved her of the bags and continued escorting her to the localized scene of the homicide.

"Thank you, Susanna, for bringing this."

"No problem, Greg," William cooed and Susanna chuckled, "Did you like helping too, Honey?"

"He's definitely more chatty than his father."

"Oh, yes," They got to another marked perimeter and Susanna stopped outside it, "I'll wait out here." He nodded and ducked under the tape. He disappeared behind the assembled M.E. and Forensic vans which blocked her view of the scene, in addition to bustling officers. Luckily Sally wasn't in sight.

Andersen came up, shaking his head, "I knew it'd happen eventually. You brought him out to a crime scene."

Susanna laughed, "He's not getting past the tape for a while yet. Not if I can help it anyways."

He tsked, but smiled and continued about his work. They got along pretty well now and he, more often than not, was her secret informant as to Sherlock's whereabouts. Sherlock didn't fully appreciate their association and kept their contact to a minimum, but he trusted Andersen enough to permit him within ten feet of her and they'd actually been cooperating.

Sherlock's curls came around one of the vans, followed by the rest of him and John. When he saw Susanna and William he smiled warmly and walked a but faster, though still with his lofty gait. He approached, "Well this is a turn up."

"Surprised, Darling?" He lifted the caution tape for John and slipped under after him. Then he and Susanna shared a couple kisses.

"Yes, considering I thought I would be the one carrying William to his first crime scene," He lifted his hand and stroked William's head, "Were you enjoying your walk with Mummy, little one?" William cooed and leaned into his hand.

"I can't believe you actually brought him." John remarked.

"I'm not taking him past the tape, don't worry," She assured and Sherlock lifted William out of the carrier, wanting to hold him. The baby boy grinned and cooed even more, "He definitely missed his Daddy."

"I missed him too," John smiled at the scene in front of him, "Now all we need is Rosie and this picture would be complete, wouldn't it?" John guffawed.

"She's not coming to the crime scene or on cases, Sherlock!" He protested.

"I don't see why she shouldn't. It's intellectually stimulating and would be good for her."

Thank you for reading!!