Sixty Five Minutes

02:35 AM

Sherlock gathered Susanna's hair back and massaged her scalp as she curled into a contraction, "Easy, Susanna-"

"Don't talk so loud, Sherlock." She snapped back, taking him off guard. She had finally dilated to ten centimeters and until then had been quiet and introverted. Now that she was in the pushing stage, she was very vocal. Lauryn gave him a look of sympathy, mouthing This is normal behavior, keep encouraging her as she brought the birthing stool for Susanna to use in the tub.

"My apologies, Love," Sherlock lowered his voice, pressing a gentle kiss to her neck, "You're doing wonderfully."

"I don't very well feel like it!" Her volume spiked as the contraction peaked.

"Susanna, take deep breaths, okay?" Evelyn soothed, giving a quick examination, "I'm just checking to make sure you're not going to tear."

"Sherlock, where'd Ma go?" Susanna abruptly questioned, slipping into her southern accent as he began massaging her neck and shoulders.

"She went to get more ice chips and let the others know. She'll be back in a few minutes, Love." Lauryn put the stool in the tub so it was there and then went to grab a cool compress.

"I'm not pushing until she gets back."

"That's fine, you need all the support you can get."

Susanna reached up and tapped Sherlock on the shoulder, "Should... probably get the others too." He looked over at Lauryn.

"As long as they keep out from underfoot, they can all come in for the birth. We'll make an exception." Susanna visibly relaxed as Lauryn called up to the waiting lounge. After a few minutes she changed positions, kneeling upright and forward, using the stool as a brace. Sherlock, advantageous in being tall, was still able to reach her without difficulty and run warm water over her back using the shower head on mild intensity.

The grandparents all burst in at once. Thalia beelined for the pool while the others took seats on the sofa- watching excitedly. Thalia knelt to Susanna's right and brushed back her hair, offering her an ice chip which was eagerly accepted.

"Are you ready now, Susanna?" Evelyn asked. The peach blonde nodded, "Your next contraction is coming up... Now..!" Susanna let out a grunting cry and bore down. After a while she got the hang of it and didn't require as much intervention, listening to natural signals. Evelyn and Lauryn still guided her through the contractions while Thalia and Sherlock coaxed Susanna during short rest periods.

Sherlock dared to look at the clock. It was three fifteen and the baby was ever so gradually moving down. Susanna had to change positions again, ditching the stool and bracing against the side of the tub where he was stationed. He gave her his hand to squeeze and she gripped it, digging her nails in deep. George was right. He said she'd go for my hand. He made no comment about the pain she was inflicting into his palm and made sure not to show it, focusing on encouraging Susanna.

At about three thirty Lauryn lowered a mirror into the water, "The baby's crowning! They're almost here!"

Sherlock let out a small puff of relief and looked for a moment, allowing Susanna to check for herself. This motivated her and she bore down more.

About eight minutes later the head had fully emerged and Susanna was only stuck on freeing their shoulders, having made sure that the cord wasn't in the way, "Come on, you can do this, Love!" Sherlock coaxed as Susanna shifted to try and find the best angle. The effort lasted for another minute and then her face spoke louder than her voice- quickly relaxing as the shoulders popped loose. Sherlock reached in and helped deliver the baby the rest of the way, hands knocking gently against Susanna's as together they scooped the child out of the water and instantly pressed them against Susanna's chest for skin-to-skin contact. The room erupted into cheers and tears of joy.

Susanna cuddled the child closely, pressing a loving kiss to their forehead. A few seconds later, the newborn's first cries were heard. Strong and lusty. Sherlock hadn't yet removed his hands from over Susanna's and the baby, but smiled and retracted a bit so she could get a better look. Her face lit up and she giggled, "It's a boy!"

Thank you for reading!