The Text

Sherlock had been antsy and unfocused since the due date had passed- waiting desperately for the long awaited news that would kick off his paternity leave and his new role as a father. To Donovan and most of Scotland Yard, he'd had only become more insufferable and annoying because they didn't know anything about the baby. But to John, Lestrade and Andersen, Sherlock was just his own unique brand of an anxious, excited daddy to be.

Every time his phone got an alert, or John's or Lestrade's, he jumped to see if it was what he hoped. Every time it wasn't the awaited words, Sherlock would pout and hurl a scathing deduction about some officer or worry out loud to John. The army doctor tried his best to bolster the detective and keep him from getting slapped in cuffs. He understood the anticipation of wanting to meet one's own child- he vividly remembered how he had looked forward to meeting Rosie. But he also knew that Sherlock was impatient- which worried John the most.

The veteran smoothed his quiff and sighed, watching Sherlock examine a couple of corpses, spewing deductions and talking to himself. Lestrade stood beside John and exhaled, "He's really excited for the baby, isn't he?"

"Yep. It doesn't help that the baby didn't come on the due date."

"Mmm," Lestrade hummed, "I imagine he'll be on leave for a while."

"Not completely- he'll still consult for you, just won't come to the crime scenes. He won't be detecting for clients for a while though."

"Donovan is going to be over the moon that Sherlock will be gone."

"I'm pretty sure he's going to enjoy not having her around either... So she didn't get the transfer?"

"Nah. Behavioral concerns and disciplinary action. I'm kind of hoping with Sherlock taking off that she'll straighten up and get the next transfer."

"So do I," John felt a buzz in his pocket and discreetly took out his phone. Luckily Sherlock was, for the moment, too intrigued to notice the alert and continued looking at the victims.

Is Sherlock's phone on? -S

John gave the slightest smile, getting the hint.

Yes. Is this what I think it is? -JW

Lestrade looked at the screen and grinned too.

Yes. Don't say anything to him. -S

Of course not. -JW

The two watched excitedly as Sherlock finished up his deductions and gave his findings to the officers. His phone went off and he whipped it out while walking to join the DI and Doctor. He unlocked it and opened the text- feeling a burst of hope.

Could you pick up some ice chips and apple juice on your way home? Also, I think it's time that you took paternity leave, Darling. -L

Sherlock stared at the screen for a few seconds. He wasn't sure how to handle the message now that it had actually come.

Your contractions have started? -D

What he got was two screenshots of a time log.

Regulating at twenty five minutes apart and twenty five seconds long now. I'm at least three hours into early labor. Ma started tracking them for me when we went out. I guess the spicy food worked! -L

Sherlock lit up and grinned, even bouncing on his heels. John and Lestrade managed to stay straight faced when he looked up at them, "As of now I am on paternity leave. Susanna is officially in labor."

"Congratulations, Sherlock!" Lestrade cheered and clapped the detective on the back.

"I told you it'd happen eventually, mate." John added, chuckling.

"I need to head back. She's requested ice chips and apple juice," Sherlock rambled excitedly, "John?"

"Yes, mate?"

"I trust that you can handle the rest?"

"Of course I can now get going, Sherlock!" John gave the detective a gentle shove towards the street, "And don't forget to keep us updated!"

"You'll be apprised!" Sherlock called back, hurrying to flag a cabbie. Lestrade and John then burst into laughter.

"Tomorrow or the thirtieth?" The DI asked.

"Fifty pounds on Thirtieth."

"I bet it'll come early morning."

"Mmm, before noon."

"You're on." They shook hands and John texted Susanna to let her know that Sherlock was en route and to give her their congratulations. He also messaged Molly to let her know.

Sherlock retrieved two packs of ice chips and two jugs of apple juice, calling for one of Mycroft's sedans to get him the rest of the way home. When he got back to 221B, he all but raced up the stairs and into the kitchen, quickly putting away the beverage and ice before entering the living room.

Susanna was already dressed in a soft, breathable shirt and yoga pants, hair loosely pulled back, and was using the  yoga ball which had been upstairs in the nursery to do some light exercises. She saw him and sat up, beaming, "Hey, Sherlock."

He smiled and knelt down in front of her, "Hello, Love," They shared a quick kiss, "Have you had any contractions since your last text?

"No but the next one is due in ten minutes or so," Thalia piped up, "Since you're here now, Sherlock, I think Brooklyn and I will go ahead and let you take over."

"Very well. Thank you for watching her, Thalia, Brooklyn." They nodded and smiled, then gave gentle hugs and cheek-kisses to Susanna.

"Keep us informed as things progress. If something happens let us know, otherwise I'll plan on meeting you at the birth center with the others."

"Will do." Susanna promised. Brooklyn gathered Ziva into the cat carrier, as she was going to keep the feline until the new family was settled back into 221B. After that it was just Sherlock and Susanna. He hung up his coat and scarf and put away his blazer, grabbing the mini doppler and gel to check the baby's heartbeat. Operation Holmes is go.

Ta!