Baby's Company (II) {Susanna}

"He really does look like Sherlock." Molly comments, smiling as she holds William.

"I thought that was already an established fact." Sherlock remarks.

"Well we're only just meeting him for the first time, Sherlock, and you never sent pictures." Lestrade butts in.

"And let Donovan find another reason to bully my family? I think not, seeing as she's constantly looking at your phone. An image file would not go unnoticed by her." I loop my arm through his.

"Sherlock, don't think about her. She's not here." I whisper, leaning into him. Sherlock grasps my hand.

"I'm trying." He responds. I run my hand up and down along his arm, continuing to watch our friends hold William. After a few minutes Molly hands him to Lestrade. John seems to be waiting quite patiently for his turn, focusing more on keeping Rosie entertained.

William, disturbed by another transfer, opens his eyes and looks around. Lestrade starts making funky noises and to our amusement our baby boy pulls a face of confusion mixed with curiosity, "I reckon he'll be deducing people in no time." The DI concludes after a bit of holding and entertaining William.

I chuckle, "I have no doubt he'll have his Daddy's deduction skills. He's already very observant of his surroundings."

"Yeah, he definitely has that I'm judging you subconsciously look in his eyes now." The rest of us laugh. Sherlock manages a light chuckle; the fatherly pride in his eyes is evident.

Finally Lestrade carefully passes William to John, who's taken a seat on the sofa next to Rosie. I sit down on her other side since I know she'll beg to hold the baby as well. Sherlock hovers, curious as to how his son reacts to his best friend, "Hullo, William."

To our delight, William perks right up and looks intently at John as the army doctor talks to him. His eyes peeled wide with curiosity and even wonder. For whatever reason it doesn't surprise me that he appears to recognize our resident blogger.

Rosie leans over and stares at William, then turns to me and points at my tummy, "He was in thewe?"

"Yes, Rosie."

"How?" Sherlock's rubbed off on her. I get an idea to satisfy her without possibly traumatizing her too early.

"Well... Uncle Sherlock and I love each other so much it spilled over and created William." John gives me a look of gratitude.

"Ohhh!" Rosie accepts my explanation and looks back at William, then up at John, "Me too?"

To my surprise, John laughs and ruffles her short blonde hair. Considering Mary is still a sensitive topic for him I didn't think he'd laugh, let alone smile. Everyone else chuckles as well, "Yes, Rosie."

Now satisfied, Rosie focuses on William again. After a while of sitting quietly she pipes up again, "Can I hold?" She looks up at me with puppy eyes. I exchange glances with John and Sherlock.

"Alright, Rosie. But only for a couple of minutes."

"Okay!"

I help her sit all the way against the back of the sofa and show her how to hold him as John gently places him on her lap. I mind his head and keep my hand underneath as a precaution but Rosie is a picture of concentration. William stares at her, not sure how to react. But I have a strong feeling that these two will be nigh as inseparable as their fathers are.

After a few minutes her arms get tired and I pick William back up. Without a fuss, he snuggles into me and takes a tiny fistful of my shirt before falling asleep- worn out from the excitement. Brooklyn hums, "He's going to be a Momma's boy."

"Of course he will." Sherlock agrees. I chuckle softly.

"Time will tell."

Thank you for reading!