First Day of Work {Susanna}

November 10

I wake and hurriedly sit up, looking at my phone. 0400. An hour early. Might as well get up anyhow. I stretch and go to get out of bed but Sherlock grabs my wrist, "An hour early?"

"I won't be able to get back to sleep." He opens his eyes and grunts.

"Then go ahead and get ready. I'll make breakfast."

I kiss his head, "Thanks, Sherlock."

"Mmm."

I grab my clothes, already set out, and hurry into the bathroom. Since the lab stresses comfortable, durable clothing, it's nice to be able to wear jeans and a tee shirt most of the time. I'll still wear my skirt and pant suits but only on special occasions. I hop into the shower and begin my routine.

By the time I'm out Sherlock has successfully made toast, eggs, and bacon. The last looks a little on the chewy side, but he didn't burn it and it isn't raw so it's a milestone for him. I grin, "Hey, you're getting the hang for bacon, Sherlock!" I cheer and plant a kiss on his cheek, "Thank you, Darling!"

Sherlock smiles and kisses my forehead, directing me to the table, "It's an important day. I figured the extra protein would be beneficial since you'll have a long work day."

"That's thoughtful of you, Sherlock." I commend. He has been trying very hard to contribute to domestic life and mostly, it's been through improving his cooking skills. Sherlock smiles again and then produces a light blue horse pill. My migraine medication that, with Mycroft's help, I was able to qualify for. It's stronger and more potent than my previous prescription and I only take one per day now.

"You might have forgotten."

"Thanks, darling." He sets a warm cuppa down and I take the pill, chasing it down with a large swig of tea.

"Good."

He finally sits down and we set to eating breakfast in a leisurely fashion. Ziva curls around our feet and attempts to jump onto the table, to no avail. She's adjusted well to 221B, as Sherlock has to her. He doesn't truly appreciate her getting on top of him or his pillow when we're in bed but other than that, he's done a fine job at becoming her Furdad. The thought makes me smile and I take another sip of tea, "I'll miss spending all day here but I am excited to finally be a formal Forensic Scientist."

"You'll adjust well to Loman-Bullard. Do not question yourself and you'll be great."

"Alright..." He gives me a look of encouragement.

"You'll do fine. They want you there."

"I know but I'm still nervous."

Eventually the time comes for me to leave. I grab my stuff and double check that I have everything. Sherlock walks me downstairs to where we've kept my bike overnight, "Stay safe, Love."

"Always, Sherlock."

He leans in and I welcome him in for a different kind of goodbye kiss. When we stop he nuzzles my neck, "Give your best."

"Will do," I peck him on the lips and cheeks before he helps me roll the bike outside. He steals a last kiss, I don my helmet and secure my bag, then I'm off.

I arrive early to the Loman-Bullard Greenwich Campus and manage to find an excellent parking space. I dismount and grab my things, rooting around for my security badge while making my way to the main entrance of the building.

Because Loman-Bullard works so closely with the Military and Government, everyone has some degree of security clearance. I was hired with much more than others because I had it already, so my badge is more than an ID Pass. I can access almost any room with it.

I enter the main building and beeline down the east wing corridor. This leads me to a small lift, which I take down two levels and then get off. Then I have to scan my badge and thumbprint to enter the long, gray tile tunnel from the Main Building to the Forensic Building. When I get into it, I have to swipe my badge again to clock in and then I get on the lift to the ground floor. They put so many obstacles into the floor plan to prevent and disorient intruders. Good thing I practiced beforehand.

I get off and run into Doctor Maclaine, who greets me with a kind smile, "Good Morning, Susanna." I shake his hand and smile.

"Good Morning, Doctor Maclaine."

"I trust you can find your Lab?"

"Yes, sir."

"Excellent. Your docket for today is on your desk. Everything is stocked and the technology has been checked."

"Thank you, sir."

"Welcome to Loman-Bullard. Have a great first day here."

"I plan to, Sir." We shake hands again and he sends me off.

I make my way down the north wing, after flashing my badge to the security personnel stationed at the front of the corridor, and at last arrive at Laboratory 1260. I unlock it and enter.

It's a large, subdivided lab with four chambers, plus a dumbwaiter system and a stairwell to the mortuary. I grin and flip on the lights, walking further into my new realm. It's perfect! And I get to decorate as well!

The thought brings up an image of Abby's lab from NCIS and I laugh, approaching my desk and setting my bag down to pick up the file folder of assignments for the day. As I'm looking through I hear my cell vibrate. So I take it out.

I calculated that you should have arrived at Loman-Bullard approximately ten minutes ago. -D

I smile.

I just got into my lab, Sherlock. Made the trip safely. -L

I might have been concerned if you'd taken any longer. Good luck on your first day. Love You. -D

I chuckle.

Love You too, Darling. -L

Thank you for reading!