Announcing the New Holmes

It had been a few days since their appointment and Susanna and Sherlock had sent envelopes that would arrive at their destinations that day. In each there was a personalized card holding a copy of the most recent sonogram and a cute "coupon".

Redeemable for One Grandchild. Valid: 26 January.

For both of them, the most exciting message to write was the one for Sherlock's parents, since it would be their first grandchild after decades of believing that one would never happen. Susanna's parents were already grandparents, but no excitement would be lost because of it. With the envelopes mailed, all they had to do was wait until the to-be grandparents opened their cards and called. Then they would tell everyone else by email or in person.

It was Mid-Morning when Susanna's phone started ringing. She picked it up and grinned, "It's Ma!" Sherlock smiled and she answered, putting Thalia on speaker, "Hey, Ma! Did you get the envelope yet?"

The cheering that erupted from the phone was all the confirmation needed. Obviously Thalia also had them on speaker, with George and the twins close by. Susanna giggled as Thalia finally answered, "Yes!!Congratulations!! Is Sherlock there too?"

"Yes, he's here. You're on speaker, Ma."

"Oh, Excellent! So have you found out if you're having a boy or a girl, yet? Or are you going to wait and be surprised?"

"We opted for the surprise." Sherlock chimed in.

"This is all just so exciting! We're all very happy for you two!"

They stayed on the line for a half hour and Thalia made the decision to fly her and George out a couple weeks before the due date and stay for a while to help. After the call ended, another came in from Niles. This she didn't put on speaker- Niles' policy. But it was obvious that he and Marigold were happy and proud.

Around noon they finally got the awaited call from Sherlock's parents. He answered on his phone and put it on speaker, "Hello?"

"Sherlock Holmes, all these years and now you finally promote us to Grandparents!!" Violet flew into a speech that was a mixture of scolding him for making them wait so long and celebratory congratulations.

Susanna almost fell off of the sofa from laughing so hard. Sherlock struggled to get a word in edgewise to answer the barrage of questions. Finally Violet slowed and Mark took over, allowing Sherlock to inform them better. It was decided, as with Thalia and George, that the to-be new grandparents would fly out before the baby arrived.

To Sherlock's surprise, his mother then had him make several promises as to caring properly for Susanna and the baby. It was clear to him whose side they'd take. In essence, he would be severely outnumbered. At last the call ended and Susanna, still in a laughing fit, got up to get some water.

"You take amusement from my Mother chiding me so?"

"No, from your reaction."

"Mmm."

Just then, John ran in with Lestrade. The couple exchanged glances and silently agreed that now was the time, "Oi, Sherlock, we need you on a case!"

"Level?"

"Ten."

"We've been calling you and Susanna for the past thirty minutes, Mate." John huffed, slightly out of breath from running up the stairs.

"Apologies, we've been busy this morning," Susanna replied, "Tea?"

"Er, Coffee?" They had normally kept coffee for others, but Sherlock had sneakily disposed of the beans when her aversion to it had worsened. At John's mention of the beverage, Susanna felt herself turn green, "Are you alright, Susanna?"

"Try your best not to say anything about coffee." Sherlock suggested, eyes hovering on Susanna. Should she dart for the loo he was poised to follow and help her.

"Why is that?" Lestrade asked for both him and John. Sherlock gave them a look and John blinked, getting a sheepish smile.

"No. Seriously, Sherlock?"

"Yes, seriously."

"What is going on?" Lestrade cut in. Sherlock stood up, partially to chase after Susanna since she looked close to running. He brushed off his blazer and straightened it, "Sherlock?"

"John."

"Yes, Mate?"

"I know that it's still early but would you agree to be the Godfather?"

John looked over at Susanna and then at the brunette in front of him, "You knocked her up! I should have known!"

"Before you say anything else, Sherlock and I were in it together. This was planned." Susanna butted in.

"Are you kidding? How long have you two known? How far along?" John asked, eyes twinkling as he clapped Sherlock on the shoulder. He wasn't ever going to let Sherlock live this down.

"She is fourteen weeks along. We found out on April the twenty fifth." Sherlock answered.

"Congrats, you two!!" Lestrade cheered and trapped Sherlock, pounding him on the back. Sherlock smiled and then the two gave gentle hugs to Susanna.

Soon after, Sherlock left to tend the new case and Susanna took to telling Missus Hudson and emailing everyone else. By the end of the night, their inbox was bursting with something other than cases and mysteries.

Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment below! It means a lot!