William's First Crime Scene

"I don't see why she shouldn't. It's intellectually stimulating and would be good for her."

John pulled a face, "She's not even five years old! She doesn't need to be at a crime scene!"

"Alright, boys, chill!" Susanna intervened, "Sherlock, children don't belong at crime scenes. They're unsanitary and may even cause long tern or permanent mental trauma."

"You brought William to the crime scene."

"But I didn't pass the police tape and enter the perimeter."

"He won't remember and Rosie is the daughter of a CIA agent and an army doctor. I believe she'd have no trouble viewing a crime scene. She has even expressed her eagerness to start accompanying us on cases." Sherlock defended. John and Susanna sighed.

"Even so, there are millions of microbes that could get them sick even if they won't remember or get scared. Their immune systems aren't like ours." She stated and Sherlock tried to argue against it, but when he couldn't he returned his attention to William.

"Perhaps I shall find a little mask to put on you then, little one." Susanna rolled her eyes, letting the subject drop. Walked right into that one.

"Anyways, Rosie's been wanting to come visit again." John mentioned. Sherlock had zoned out and was focused on William, who was exploring his shirt, scarf and coat.

"You two are always welcome. I'm surprised you don't bring her with you more. I can watch Rosie."

"You're not her nanny anymore."

"Maybe not, but she's still a niece to me and I love watching her."

"You've got William."

"She loves being around William and she's been a great helper. She's no trouble and never has been. Bring her over more often, John."

The army doctor knew how much she implied and nodded slowly. She smiled gently and they turned their attention back to the detective and his son, "For whatever reason, William is drawn to my clothes more than anything else." Sherlock commented.

"Do I see a second Milford-Belstaff coat in your future?" John whispered to Susanna, who chuckled.

"Oh dear, if William takes after Sherlock's sense of fashion-" Both broke into snickering laughter.

"I deduce that you two are laughing at my expense." Sherlock hummed.

"Not you, your coat." John managed.

Sherlock sighed, "Dull," William inadvertently mussed his scarf so he shifted the baby to one arm, lifting his other hand to readjust his other signature piece of apparel, "Although I would not disapprove if William inherited my taste in clothing."

"Of course you wouldn't."

Susanna opened her mouth to agree but was cut off, "Your wife come to visit you, freak?"

Sherlock froze and even went pale. Donovan hadn't been told about Susanna's pregnancy or William, and obviously still hadn't seen him. And the carrier on Susanna is blocked from view as well. He was essentially shielding Susanna and William from the Sergeant, but he knew he was stuck and that Donovan would find out, "Don't you have another officer to enlighten, Sally?"

John looked ready to confront her but Sherlock held up his hand. Donovan was supposed to be on her best behavior. Sherlock doubted she'd stop calling him freak, but hopefully she wouldn't attack his family.  He scowled when he saw Susanna flinch, however, no matter how small it was.

"There are three homicide victims waiting for your seal of approval before I can get them to the morgue. I figured freak two was here if you were able to leave the scene that quickly," Donovan approached, "Do you mind not running off and making more work-?"

Then she saw William and the baby carrier. Her mouth clamped shut, opened, and then closed again. When she opened it the next time she huffed, "Three freaks? In less than two years, there's two more?"

"Sally, seeing as your trying to get that transfer and are already pending disciplinary action that may hinder that, I suggest you stop talking and return to the corpses." Sherlock responded firmly. He didn't even look at her, just kept his eyes on William and Susanna.

Donovan was silent. She stomped a bit and huffed again, then eventually turned on her heel and marched off. Susanna heaved a sigh of relief, "Well that... went well, I guess."

"Mmm. Well, you should probably take William home anyways." Susanna leaned in and kissed William sweetly.

"Aww, seriously?"

"You're distracting me in the best way, but Sally will surely cause problems if you stay longer."

"Alright then," Sherlock lowered William into the carrier and helped tighten it up, "Greg has your lunch. Remember to eat before you chase a suspect."

"John will. Be safe on the walk home, Love." They shared a brief kiss and he stroked William's head one last time.

"Love you, Darling. Goodbye, John. Keep him out of too much trouble?"

"Always," Susanna chuckled and gave Sherlock one last kiss before heading off, "Well that was nice, wasn't it."

"Indeed it was."

Thank you for reading!!