Chapter 15

Budo's POV

After our friends had handed us the correct amount of money to get their chosen snakes, Maya and I walked to the vending machine. After putting in all the coins and pressing the correct buttons, we both split the small pile of snacks between ourselves to carry back to the rooftop. Yet as I was about to turn my back to head out of the cooking club, I felt a hand grabbing onto my shirt to stop me from going any farther.

"U-um," said Maya. I turned around. "What is it?" "W-would you like to hang out after school?" she asked. "After your club activities, I mean." "Hmm, sure." I said. "But where would we go?" "To the park nearby. I-I was hoping we could have a picnic." I thought about it for a while. F-free food... "Yeah, okay," I said.

Maya looked really happy for some reason.

Ayano's POV

What in the world was taking those two so long? I-it shouldn't take that long to insert coins into a vending machine and then press buttons, right? Anxiously eating, I zoned out on what was happening around me. Until Budo and Maya walked out that is. Looking up, I noticed that Maya had a faint blush on her face. It wasn't super visible, but I could see it alright.

Looking at Budo this time, I saw his cheery face. Much different than a couple minutes ago. What happened in the cooking club between those two? I narrowed my eyes as I threw my trash into a bin right as the bell rang and went to class, bidding goodbye to my friends.

Walking to class, my thoughts still went to Budo and Maya. I couldn't focus on the lesson in class either. When finally school was over and I went to the martial arts club, I was relieved that I didn't have to see Maya again, at least while in the club. But then I walked in and saw her there. I had forgotten that she was now a member of the martial arts club.

Seeing her walk out of the changing room in the martial arts outfit, I suddenly felt a fit of rage boiling inside me. Budo then told us to start our warmup and activity, while he helped Maya. Watching those two together, with Budo's hand guiding her, my rage rose. And another feeling that I.... can't quite grasp.

She was horrible at martial arts. That made me feel slightly better. Now I know that she can't defend herself that well when the time comes to kill her. The whole lesson, she had made no progress. Okay, maybe it was unreasonable to think that someone could make huge progress in, like, half an hour, but then again, I wasn't thinking straight. "It's okay," said Shima to Maya after our lessons were over. "It takes a bit of time getting used to. I'm sure you'll get it in no time." All of them nodded their head, including me, with slight reluctance, to appear like a good friend.

As we all were about to head our separate ways home, I saw, once again, out of the corner of my eyes Maya glancing at Budo with the blush resurfacing on her face. What are they up to? I might have to stal- I mean follow them after school. But before everyone turned to leave, I heard Budo say something.

"Hey, guys!" said Budo. "Maya invited us to a picnic today in the park!" I looked over at Maya once again and found great satisfaction as Maya's expression turned from blushing to absolute shock and disappointment. Ah... so that was probably what they were talking about when they went to get the snacks in the cooking room. Maya had probably invited him, most likely only him judging the expression on her face, to a picnic in the park. "Um yeah!" said Maya. "Can you guys come?" Juku, Sho, Shima, and Mina looked at each other, shrugged, and then decided that they all would go. I also said yes and made sure to thank Maya.

I could still see her disappointment written all over her face. Trying to hold in my laughter, I would probably have felt bad for her if the guy she liked was someone other than Budo and that guy did the same thing.

Wait.... how did that thought cross my mind? Why would I be fine if it was some guy other than Budo? A thousand thoughts rushed around in my mind. I was so confused. Unconsciously, my hand had turned into a fist moved to smack myself right in the face to clear the thoughts.

"A-Ayano?!" "What's wrong?!" "Why'd you punch yourself in the face all of a sudden?!" Those were the words I heard. Did I really? And then I felt the pain after a couple seconds. Ah, I really did.

Ouch...