Chapter 17

Humming happily I stuck the knife in my skirt pockets (yeah, I'm just gonna assume she has skirt pockets lmao) walked over to the bathroom, made sure to flush it nice and loud to appear like I just did my business, and then washed my hands. Walking outside, our small group made it's short journey to the park. It was sunny outside, and little kids were playing soccer. Picking a place under a large sort of trees, we sat down on the soft grass and Maya rolled out the picnic blanket.

Reaching into her bag, she started pulling out food which I, against my will, was impressed at how they looked. "Wow, Maya!" exclaimed Shima. "You're going to have to teach me how to make these!" "They're just sandwiches," said Maya, looking slightly embarrassed. "No, I mean these," said Shima, pointing to the macaroons and cheesecake. "I haven't seen those kinds anywhere around her, and I've been here my whole life!" Fully embarrassed now, Maya suggested that we just start eating, and then we all reached for our choice of food.

After the sandwiches, mid-way through dessert, I noticed a bit of cheesecake stuck to the corner of Budo's mouth. "Hey, you go a little cheesecake here," I said to him. "Huh? Where?" he asked. After many tries and fails to attempt to get him to wipe off the cheesecake, I finally gave up and reached over. My hand grazed his skin, and his eyes widened. As I realized what I was doing, my eyes widened too. Quickly retracting my hands, I could feel my face heating up all of a sudden, and for some reason knew without looking that his face must be heating up too.

Not daring to look up just yet, I nibbled on a macaroon with my eyes averted down. After a while I looked up again to see some surprised and some smirking faces. Pretending like I didn't just see that, I instead just reached for another macaroon. To my relief, everyone then started talking, and there was no more staring gazes at me. Except one, which I knew for certain must belong to a blue haired girl. Eating and talking for some time later, with nothing to do but laze around, a stray soccer ball rolled over near us.

A couple of kids shouted and wildly waved their arms, so I stood up, picked up the ball, and was about to kick it to them when I noticed a part of the park that nobody entered, between trees, buildings, bushes, and most importantly, away from sunlight. Or any source of light for that matter. If i could just lead Maya in there after everyone has gone home.... the kids continued to waved frantically and even started screaming insults. "Hey, you ugly blank staring idiot! Give us our ball back!" I could fell the vein throbbing in my forehead. Oh, I'll give the ball back to them all right. I dropped the ball, then quickly spun around, did a 360 degree kick, and watched as the ball flew out of sight. Yes, flew. I grumpily returned back to the group under the tree, to which they began laughing at how I had lost my temper out there.

And finally it was time to head home, as it was getting late and there was still school tomorrow. As everyone walked home together, we stopped by Maya's house to drop her off since hers was the closest to the park. "Well, have a good night, everyone!" said Maya, to which everyone also replied with a good night, including me. And you'll never wake up after this night.... I walked home with everyone else, thinking about how I should go to Maya's house after everyone headed home. Just in case so that when Maya dies, I am as much a suspect as anyone else because I was not the last one seen with her when she dies, according to them.

One by one everyone got dropped off at their houses until it was finally my turn, and I waved to the remaining people still outside who had not yet reached their houses. Closing the door, I watched from the windows and waited a couple minutes as they passed farther and farther away. And then I opened the door once again and walked out of the house, towards Maya's house this time.

Knocking on the door, it opened to the face of Maya. "Ayano!" she gasped. "Is anything wrong? What are you doing back here?" "Oh, nothing," I said. "I just found something cool! Follow me!" Maya still looked surprised, but curiosity apparently got the best of her, and she followed me anyways. Just like all those other victims in the past who died because of curiosity, and because of the same trick I always used. Speed walking back to the park, with the cool metal of the knife pressed against the fabric of my skirt, I lead Maya into the dark part of the park that I saw just a few hours ago.

"Where's the thing you want to show me?" asked Maya. "Oh, just a little bit more and we'll be there," I replied. When we were in the darkest part of the park that I knew of, shielded from view by the trees, buildings, and bushes, I took out the knife. "Hey, Maya, turn around. The thing I wanted to show you is behind you." Maya turned around. Raising the knife I prepared to make contact with flesh. Swishing the knife in a swift motion that was supposed to be a clean cut through the neck, I was surprised to see Maya duck. D-does she know self defense after all and was preparing to use it when I let my guard down?!

I panicked just slightly for a brief moment, before realizing that she didn't duck intentionally. More like something caught her eyes on the ground and I heard a soft meow before spotting, just barely, the movements of something disturbing the surrounding bushes. "Oh, did you want to show me the cat?" asked Maya, trying to look for it with her back still turned to me. "Uh, yeah," I said, making up a story right on the spot. "I have become rather attached to it but can't take it home with me so I thought I would introduce you to the cat and convince you to take it home with you." "Oh, I guess I scared it away then," said Maya, looking very disappointed.

She stood up and I quickly swished my knife again, hoping to connect with flesh once again. She swooped down again, narrowly missing the knife. Aha, so she does know self defense! Panicking, I looked down to see... that she had just tripped over a large tree root.

Are you frickin kidding me?

Hoi there! Once again I'm sorry for not posting a chapter last week because of illness. But I just wanted to say thank you to those people who wished me recovery and motivated me! It warmed my little potato heart.