Chapter 21

Minutes later in his dorm room, Jenner sat on his bed while Michael sat on Aiden's bed. Mom and Trevor stood near them with their shocked and angry faces refusing to melt away. Aiden had stepped out to the library to give them some privacy.

Mom sighed. "When has this been going on?"

Jenner twisted his lips in reluctance, looking anywhere but at Mom and Trevor. But he might as well have told as much of the truth as possible. How else could he and Michael explain their forbidden tryst? "Well...the thing is...we—"

"We're in love," Michael muttered, his head lowered and his gaze on the floor.

Trevor shook his head. "Unbelievable." He crossed his arms. He looked at Mom. "Can you believe this, Jody?"

She shook her head. "I can't."

"Look. I don't care if you want to date guys. But you can't date Jenner."

Michael rolled his eyes and finally looked at Trevor. "Says who, anyway? Some stupid social rule that decided it was weird?"

"It's not accepted for a reason, and Jody and I aren't getting a divorce just to give you two the chance to be together. So break it up now and make sure it never happens again."

"I can't help how I feel, Dad!"

"Your father's right, Michael. It's not appropriate."

If only the world were different. Why couldn't stepbrothers who happened to fall in love with each other just be together when their hearts couldn't be controlled? It wasn't fair at all.

Michael let out a deep breath and got up from Aiden's bed. He stepped closer to Jenner and grabbed his hand. "Let's get out of here, okay?"

Jenner nodded in a rush. Anywhere but here. He got up, grabbed his jacket, and followed Michael hand in hand toward the entry door.

"We're not finished here," Mom said in a snappy tone. "And I thought we made this very clear."

Jenner was suddenly inspired by Michael's boldness, and he stopped and turned around to face Mom. "I've loved him for a while now. Brothers or not, he's the one I want to be with, and I'm not letting either of you change that."

Mom scoffed.

Trevor simply shook his head, his lips pressed together. "You're making a big mistake."

Jenner no longer cared. Now that he had Michael in his life the way he'd dreamed about for a long time, he wasn't ever going to let him go. "Then, I'll take that risk." He walked away with Michael and rushed alongside him out of the dorm room and down the hall until they reached the exit of Hickeyhook Hall. They continued outside in the cool breeze without stopping, not knowing where they were headed.

Michael sighed. "We're so bad."

"We won't regret this later, right?"

Michael stopped and faced Jenner, and he held both of his hands with a warm smile. "I'm scared, to be honest. But I do love you. I realized it the most when we did all those things in the sex room. But when I thought it'd be over between us after getting caught by our parents, well...I panicked."

Jenner's heart entered a molten state from such words. He lifted the muscles of his face at the warmness of Michael's affection and love for him, things he himself would feel for a long time to come. "I don't want to lose you."

"You're not going to lose me." Michael leaned closer and planted his lips on Jenner's for a lengthy kiss, their tongues touching and wrapping themselves around the other. When he let go, he rested his forehead against his with their noses pressed against each other. "I know there's no guarantee we'll be together forever, but I don't want anyone else. As long as I love you and you love me, I don't see a problem here." He kissed Jenner some more. "Mine?"