Chapter 2 - Played Ball - Friday Afternoon, Late April

.

.

The baseball game was tied five to five, the bottom of the seventh inning, no outs, with runners on first and second, Chris was called on as the team's emergency pitcher. The pitch is made, and the batter lays down a bunt that Chris fields and fires to third base. His throw was high and towards the infield, causing Clay to leap and reach for the throw. As Clay attempted to catch the ball, the runner slid into third hard, feet first, and with his spike up, his right foot made contact with Clay's ankle. Landing on his ankle and dislocating it badly, his left foot was pointing in towards his right. The pain was searing, causing him to scream and yell out in agony. Chris instantly drops his head, not caring about the runner heading towards home plate as the winning run. He slowly walked over to Clay and stops as soon as he sees how bad Clay's ankle was dislocated.

As soon as he saw what happened, Carl thought the base runner had slid late and was trying to spike his brother. He went after the runner and had to be restrained, by Luis who quickly chased him down.

.

Luis: he ain't worth it man, go make sure your brother okay.

Carl: iight, you right, but next time I see his ass I'mma fuck him up.

Luis: you and me both, but not right now. Go check on your brother.

.

Carl runs over to see Clay and comforts his brother, alongside the coaches. Joking that Clay will never be able to beat him in a race ever again. Making Clay not think about his pain for a few seconds, until he sees that Chris doesn't want to come any closer than the forty feet, he stopped at.

.

Clay: how bad is it, coach?

Coach V: I dunno, it doesn't look good that's for sure. [turns to Maurice] Mo that ambulance on the way?

Clay: okay, coach [turns to Carl] hey, call moms.

Carl: iight, be right back. [running to his bag in the dugout to get his phone]

Maurice: [getting off his phone] they said the ambulance will be here in about five minutes. So, try not to move okay.

Clay: iight Mo-Jo.

.

Clay looks back over at Chris, who is now on a knee, still not coming any closer. Luis walks over to him and comforts Chris.

.

Luis: I know you feel bad, but go over and say something.

Chris: I don't want to, I know he's going to blame me, it's better if I just leave him alone.

Luis: look how he keeps looking over at you, just go.

Chris: fine [exhaling and slowly walking over to Clay] hey...