Chapter 41 - BREAKING NEWS - Tuesday Afternoon, Late July

.

.

With a lot of partying and clubbing or just spending time together, Chris and Clay were enjoying their break. Whenever they went partying or clubbing, they would go to either one of their houses to spend the night. Carl was spending some time with the grandparents in Florida.

One day there was a bank robbery that went bad. The silent alarm was tripped, the police arrived shortly after that. The attempted robbery quickly became a hostage situation, the SWAT team was called in. After a few hours, the whole situation was getting broadcasted over the local channels, interrupting the regularly scheduled programs. A bunch of people were calling Clay asking if he saw what's on TV? Clay immediately turned on the TV to see what everyone was talking about.

Moments after he turns on the TV, he sees his father was on scene with his SWAT team. They were stacking up on the wall outside the bank, getting ready to breach the door. As the SWAT team entered the bank, the sniper took out the second robber, and the team killed the first robber. Unaware that there was a third robber, the team secured both dead suspects. Then as Clay's father was on the radio, the third suspect opened fire, hitting his father in head and face. Mr. Carter had died before his body hit the floor. The was a news crew filming the event as it happened. Clay immediately broke down, dropping to his knees and screams out "NOOOO." The news reporter begins to say, "oh no, let's pray that wasn't as bad as it looked." Chris, who had been notified as well, was also watching the broadcast. As soon as he saw what happened, he drove to Clay's house as fast as he could without wrecking.

Clay's phone begins to ring, he looks at it and sees that it's his mother.

.

ANSWERS PHONE

Clay: [crying] MA!

Cindy: [crying] baby, oh my God ... baby, Clay, it's your dad.

Clay: Ma, I saw it on the news ...

Cindy: Okay, baby ... don't call you brother.

Clay: Ma, is he?

Cindy: baby, please be strong for me right now. He didn't ... he didn't make it ... baby, please be strong ... okay baby.

Clay: Mom, you be strong too, I love you.

Cindy: I love you too. [sobbing heavily]

.

Clay throws his phone onto the couch and flops down in it. Hearing someone loudly banging on the door. Clay heads to the door ready to curse whoever it was out. Flings open the door.

Clay: WHAT YOU THE ... [seeing that's its Chris, breaks down again]

.

Without saying a word, Chris grabs Clay and hugs his best friend in the world tightly. They stand there for what seems like an eternity. Chris backs Clay into the foyer, closes the door, and leads Clay into the living room. Clay lays his head on Chris' shoulder and begins to cry again. Chris doesn't say a single word, he just rubs on Clay's back and on the back of his head, as he comforts him. Clay's phone begins to ring.