Chapter 10 - Shopping Spree Flirtations - Sunday Morning, Early May

.

.

The morning after, Chris walks up and thinks about last night, in complete disbelief. He giggles and smiles, uncontrollably. His phone vibrates and plays the text message tone.

TEXTING

Luis TEXTING: hey, you up?

Chris TEXTING: yeah, sup?

Luis TEXTING: you still wanna go shopping? I'm free today.

Chris TEXTING: of course, you know me.

Luis TEXTING: okay, I can meet you there.

Chris TEXTING: nah, we can ride together.

Luis TEXTING: okay, cool, I'll be over at 10.

Chris TEXTING: see you then. ✌️ ☮️

.

Chris puts on some shorts and a t-shirt, heads to the kitchen and greets his mother. He makes some breakfast for the both of them, and they catch up things that happened over the week.

.

Paula: good morning, Dushi, how is your weekend going?

Chris: pretty good, and yours?

Paula: it can always be better, but things can always be worst, so I won't complain.

Chris: Mom, you have to let me help more, I don't know why you don't let me.

Paula: I need you to focus on your schoolwork and enjoying your senior year. I'll have Ms. Hill to help me. I don't want to be a burden on you. That's why I told your sister not to change their lives either.

Chris: but, Mom, that's what your children are supposed to do.

Paula: Dushi, I have seen your sisters grow to become such wonderful women, and I see the how amazing you've become. The same way I told them to continue on with their lives, I need you to do the same.

Chris: But, I want to help more.

Paula: you can help me by living your life. Seeing you happy gives me all that I need.

Chris: Mom, I love you [hugging her]

Paula: I love you too. Mrs. Carter is taking me to the spa today to get pampered and spoiled, what do you have planned?

Chris: I'm going shopping with Luis today.

Paula: [surprised] No Clayton?

Chris: [laughing] were not joined at the hip, Mom.

Paula: I know, I like Clayton. You two are good together.

Chris: okay, what do you mean by that? [looking confused]

Paula: you two are such great friends, like... what do they call them? ... Frick and Frack.

Chris: [laughs] okay, Mom, may I borrow the car, if you aren't driving that is.