Chapter 42 - The Love of a Mother - Sunday Night, Late July

Chris' mother calls him into her room to talk to him.

.

Paula: Christopher, [speaking Dutch] kom hier mijn zoon (come here my son)

Chris: Mom, this must be serious, you only say that when it's bad.

Paula: nee (no), I just want to talk to you.

Chris: o... kay...

Paula: kom bij me zitten (come sit with me)

Chris: okay, you're starting to make me worry, this is a lot of Dutch.

Paula: my wonderful son.

Chris: yes Mom, I'm your only son [laughing] ...

Paula: [laughing] ... mijn geliefde (my love), I'm not doing so well these past few weeks. The pain is so intense sometimes. I know I do not have long on this earth.

Chris: [starting to tear up] Mom ...

Paula: nee, nee ... listen to me [she gently touches his cheek]

... my son, this is the truth, this cannot be changed by our hands, no amount of wishes and prayers can. I just want you to know that you have always been my favorite. You are truly mother's boy. You have grown into such a handsome young man, and I am so very proud of you. You have such a beautiful heart and so much love and caring for someone so young. Whether I leave next year or next week, no mother on this earth will ever be prouder of their child, than I am of you.

Chris: Aww, Mom, you're going to make me cry.

They share a long lovely hug. Chris pulls back slowly and dips his head.

Chris: Mom, I need to tell you something that's been eating away at me for a few years now, and the past few months even more.

Paula: of course, Dushi, you know you can always tell me anything.

Chris: maybe not this.

Paula: fear not, my love is forever.

Chris: [taking several very deep breaths before finally saying] Mom I'm attracted to ... [taking another deep breath, he drops his head]

Paula: [gently lifts his chin] it's okay Christopher, you can tell me anything. Just say what's on your mind, Dushi.

Those words just added a level of trust and love, he took one last deep breath and said.

Chris: boys, Mom, I like boys, and girls too ... I ... I don't know why, I just do, I'm not sure if I should. I don't want to let you down.

Paula: Christopher Andrew van der Berg, I am your mother, I carried you for nine months, I gave you all my love. I have to admit, I thought I'd never see the day when you would tell me ... [Chris starts to panic, thinking he just broke mother's heart until she continues]

... the truth. Did you think I would love you any less? Nothing has changed, nothing will ever cause me to stop loving you. Come here, I know that was not easy to do, I want to thank you for being honest with me, as well as yourself. I love you Dushi. And, mothers know their sons. [tapping Chris on the cheek and smiles]

.

Chris just hugs his mother and starts crying. These are tears of joy, he feels so relieved. After what seemed like a million deep exhales, Chris finally asks.

.

Chris: When? When did you know?

Paula: definitely around when you were 13 or 14. I knew how much you liked Michelle, but then I saw how you and Clayton are together, and I put two and two together. Either way, I like them both.

Chris: oh my God, Mom, no wonder I could never get away with anything.

Paula: of course, my dear, like I said a mother knows.

Chris: [laughing] Mom, I wish you weren't sick, I don't want to lose you.

Paula: Dushi, you are strong, and I know you will be fine. You don't have to worry about money, everything is taken care of.

Chris: Mom, I'm not worried about that, I don't want to be without you.

Paula: I going to say something you might not like. [pausing, taking her son's hand and says]

... If you were in my shoes and I in yours. I would pray for you not to be in pain, I would pray for your pain to end and for you to be at peace.

Chris: well I'm just selfish because I love you, and I don't want you to go.

Paula: I cannot stay here forever, Dushi.

Chris: I understand, I love you Mom, thank you for being the best ever, forever, and ever, and ever.

Paula: forever, and ever .... [laughing]. Come and lay with me...

.

Chris gets up and goes to the other side of the bed, Mrs. van der Berg gives him a hug and lays his head on her lap, then begins to sing.

 van der Berg gives him a hug and lays his head on her lap, then begins to sing

Paula: Hush a bye, little one

Close your eyes, little one

Dream time is near

you needn't fear

And when you wake

I will be here

Rest your head, little one

Dream sweet dreams, little one

The stars say "goodnight"

I say "sleep tight"

And when you wake,

I will be here

.

Chris smiles and cries and lays on his mother's lap, and she and he are sound asleep.