Twenty Two

Vanoss

Well, everything was almost back to normal, but what was considered normal in our lives? Delirious and I planned on moving to North Yankton and changing our names if we had to. We would end our lives as superheros. We’d be a normal family. Just two parents with their child that they totally had a surrogate for. Speaking of, Delphinium was asleep in the playpen Delirious ordered online for him. So far he hasn’t shown any sign of superpowers.

When his eyes opened I saw the mixed colors of his. One brown and one blue eye. He had pallid skin like his father’s and dark hair like mine. So Luke’s dream version of our child was pretty close. Currently those beautiful eyes were shut and dreaming.

The doorbell rang to our new place. We all currently lived in a small townhouse. Some of us stayed with the bikers. “I got it,” Delirious chimes and starts toward the door. Moo was with us, but Lui, Nogla and Wildcat stayed with the bikers. Moo wanted to stay to help us with the baby. I had an idea as to why Wildcat wanted to stay with the bikers. He probably hates us, hates me, because of Mini’s death. I still contemplate why I didn’t kill myself and end all the suffering for everyone.

The door opens to a group of people outside. I go to grab Del from the crib, but realize it is merely the bikers. He still stirs awake. I grab him from the nest of blankets and cradle him. He yawns and his gummy mouth opens. I smile at the toothless being. His eyes then open and my smile grows.

“Hey Vanoss, we have a few things for you guys.” Luke pushes past Delirious and hands me a present wrapped in newspapers. Luke grabs Delphinium and rocks him back and forth, “This is for you buddy.” I pull out a big slick black leather jacket. On the back in big letters it has “Delphinium”, along with the actual flower. I stand up and hug Luke, careful of the baby. “Thank you Luke,” Delirious says from the kitchen. Wildcat then approaches me. I sigh and make strong eye contact with him. He hands me two badges to go onto the baby’s jacket. I look at both of them. One says “Mini” and the other says “Craig”. Tears form around my eyes and blur the names on the badges. I wrap Wildcat into a big hug, “These are amazing. I love you man.”

“I love you too.” He wipes his tears. It’s the first time I’ve seen the big man cry. He clears his throat, “Let me know if you need any help with the little guy.”

Delirious

Lovey dovey stuff was going on, and I loved it. It was like a family being reunited again. Which is technically was, but would this be a good time for Vanoss and I to tell them our future plans? I make eye contact with Vanoss and wait for the brown eyes of his to realize it. He finally makes his way over to me through the crowd of bikers and other friends.

“What’s up?”

“Should we tell them our plan?”

“Are we actually going to leave?” Vanoss presses up against my chest. I sigh, “I know they’re basically family, but if we leave will that change?”

“No, but we’ll be further away.”

“Yes, further away from Humane Labs.” Vanoss sighs in irritation. He knows I’m right. That we have to leave soon, or else we may never see these people again, because we’ll either be dead or trapped in Humane Labs.

“Fine,” he snaps. He squeezes my hand and then clears his throat, “Hey guys, we have something to announce.”

“Another baby!?” Nogla asks jumping up and down like a little girl.

“Fuck no!” Vanoss and I shout in usion. Everyone quietly chuckles, but then stops quickly. “What’s up?” Luke asks, still holding little Del.

“Well, because Humane Labs is still out there looking for us, mainly Delphinium, we both decided to move somewhere else for a while. When we mean a while, we mean until Delphinium is an adult himself. And if we live in a big house with open space we can experiment with his powers without getting caught as easily,” I explain.

“What about the team?” Lui sadly asks. Moo, Nogla, and Wildcat stand with him. The same sad and concerning faces. I look at Vanoss, he slightly frowns, “Do you guys really need BatOwl and Batcoon to fight off bad guys?” Their faces show the answers to that. “Guys come on. You can do so much good shit with this gang. Right Luke? Y’all can kick ass, right?”

“It’ll never be the same,” Lui starts to sob. “It won’t,” I state and squeeze Vanoss’s hand. He immediately squeezes back. “We will still love all of you.” Vanoss says, his voice sounding different. We all close into a group hug and let the emotions flow. Our lives were going to change, weather we liked it or not.

Vanoss

On the airplane Delirious falls asleep, but I couldn’t. Delphinium was in between us fast asleep like his daddy. I lightly chuckle and watch the environment go from tall buildings to tall trees outside.

I tried reading a book, listening to soft music, but nothing would help me sleep. I even day dreamed, but nothing was working.

A sudden pain start at the back of my head. It shoots through my whole head down to my neck. Blood drips onto my jeans, leaving a red stain. My vision goes blurry. I quickly shake Delirious awake before another vision takes over my mind. Why am I having a vision now? And what is it going to be about? The last thing I feel is tiny baby fingers wrap around my index finger.

***

Ooof. What's the vision going to be about? Tune in next time...