Chapter VI

Chapter 6

A m a n d a

❣️

Throughout these past days, I found myself smiling and laughing more- as if everything were back to what it used to be. He just has this ability to makes me forget about what happened. However, there are times when he asks about certain details of my life, and I worry. Because I know one day I'll forget my own lies and replace them with new ones. Yet there are some things I don't have an answer to, and the only response he gets is silence or a change in topic to which by now he's used to. But overall, those eyes are the most captivating thing about him. The same ones I'm staring into right now. Ones that make me want to explore the storm within them because just like me, he too hides things within his words.

I smile at him and grab ketchup from the counter, and throughout it all, I can still feel his gaze on me. I shake my head, but my smile soon vanishes when I hear her.

 "What's going on between you and Derek?" From the corner of my eyes, I can see Zoe getting closer to me, tilting her head slightly to the side, blocking my view from him and my friends.

"Nothing," I respond, giving her my full attention, "you told me to stay away. That's what I'm doing."

Her eyes narrow slightly and she gets closer, as if to intimidate me. "I sure hope you're telling the truth." I don't back away. Instead, I stand straighter and look straight into her eyes. "I am, but you can believe whatever you want." She backs away and nods. "Good then, I see you're not dumb after all," With that, she turns on her heels and walks to her table where all her friends are watching. I glance down at my fisted hands and loosen my grip on the ketchup packets, surprised that none of them had popped. I'm not going to lie, it took all of my willpower to not snap back at her, but I managed. 

My eyes retreat to Derek. Only to find him standing and glaring at Zoe, and as if sensing me looking, our eyes meet again, his features softening. Are you okay, he mouths. I nod and head back to my table, and judging by the way they too are staring at me and how Brenda seems to be holding Luke, they witnessed what happened.

"What?" I ask while taking a seat.

"What did she say? We saw her talking to you. If that bitch tries something..." I cut Jessica off.

"Nothing to worry about."

I could tell by their expression that they don't believe me but don't press on the topic. Good.

"She just needs a good smack," mutters Brenda.

That she does.

"Why don't we go partying tomorrow night. I know where a few parties are taking place. " exclaims Sarah, most likely easing the tension- which works.

"Yeah why not," says Alexander.

I ignore them and begin to eat. "What do you say, Amanda," asks Luke.

My eyes immediately go to Brenda. Which, to my surprise, nods at me. "I don't-"

"Okay, it's settled were going." 

Then why ask? 

A chuckle rings close to my ear as an arm goes around me. Guess I said that out loud. "Don't worry. It will be fun. Besides, you could use a little break from all this." Damn, he's so right. "And you'll get a chance to dance with me." I let out a laugh. "Of course, Luke, how could I not go now." He lets out another chuckle and gently squeezes my shoulders before letting go. 

"So are you in?" 

I stare at every one of them and nod. "Guess I don't have a choice."

***❣️***