Chapter XV

Chapter 15

U n k n o w n

Heels on the tiled floor echoes in the classroom, followed by the wooden door opening. Revealing a tall thin woman with brown eyes and short red hair.

"Good morning," She looks down at her watch which rests on her pale wrist then down the empty hallway. "It's a bit early for you to be here," She states.

I nod. " I just came by to ask if I could have a copy of the photos they took of me during the game yesterday?"

She thinks for a moment until she nods and steps aside to let me in. "I haven't had the time to organize them, but we can look through them."

She takes a seat behind her desk and pulls out a memory card from the drawer, carefully placing it into the computer while I take a seat beside her.

More than a hundred photos appear on the screen. Displaying what happened during and after the game. Miss. Rose clicks on the first image and immediately starts to comments about how lovely we all look in our school colors. "Oh, look at all of you. These really came out great. Don't you think?" I try my best to smile and nod as she continues looking at each picture we slowly go through. 

Well, this is going to take a while.

***

We're halfway through the set when we hear voices start to gather in the hallway. Miss Rose glances at her watch before turning to look at me. "I have to go keep watch. You can go through the rest and once you're done simply leave the card in the computer. I'll organize them later."

I nod and watch her go. Once she's out of sight. I pull my phone cord out of my bag and plug it into the computer, skimming through the photos faster then she did. I go through each one,  slightly slowing down when I reach the football players, most specifically his.

One won't hurt to keep. I keep scrolling until finally, she appears on the screen. Slightly smiling at the camera and dressed in plain clothes, just as I had seen her. I waste no time downloading the image and unplugging my cord, letting a smile of my own surface on my lips. Gathering my things I exit the room -almost bumping into Miss. Ross who's walks in.

"Did you find what you wanted?" She asks.

I nod "Yes I did, thank you."

D e r e k

When I step into the building. I'm greeted with "congratulations" and handshakes from the team, including the students who surround the front entrance. Yet my mind is focused on something else, or rather someone else. 

I scan over the crowd hoping to find her. However, my eyes meet Zoe who is scrolling through her phone and moving past band members until reaching her group of friends who stand by her locker. As if sensing my stare, she looks up and meets my gaze- giving me a wink and blowing a kiss my way.

I shake my head, drawing my eyes away from her, and keep glancing around until finally, I spot her. Her black hair is flowing freely down her shoulders and onto her red book-bag which is on display facing me. Luke is also with her, smiling and laughing at whatever she's telling him causing the smile to fall off my face.

Immediately, I recognize this feeling wanting to build inside, and I shouldn't be. But the truth was, I'm beginning to have feelings for her- something I thought would never happen since Linda. Or maybe I have this whole time. I can't tell anymore. 

Luke is the first to notice me and gestures behind him causing Amanda to turn. A smile stretches across her face when her eyes meet mine.

"Derek!" She shouts, causing some to turn towards us, but she seems unbothered by the stares. She probably didn't even realize what shes done. In less than a minute, her arms are around my neck having me bend down to reach her height. Wrapping my arms around her waist, I pull her closer slightly picking her up.

Luke, on the other hand, walks towards us- eyes hard as he glances between us and something in the hallway behind.

 "Congratulations on the game last night." She says as she pulls away first. "You did great."

My heart does a flip at the thought of her there, watching me.

She then turns to Luke, his eyes still trained behind me. Amanda soon follows his gaze and when she does her eyes slightly widen as she takes a step back away from me- suddenly realizing her mistake. I turn and realize the cause of their attention.

 Zoe face is blank, her eyes locked on Amanda and shoulders stiff before she turns to face her friends again.

Luke takes a step forward yet Amanda gets a hold of his arm-stopping him on his tracks. "It's okay." She whispers "she won't do anything."

He doesn't nod but heads to where Brenda and the rest are, who also had their eyes trained on Zoe.

"Let get to class shall we." I don't wait for a response. Instead, I secretly grab her hand, holding it tightly in mine, and guide her through the crowd- away from Zoe's cold eyes.

*****

If this morning wasn't weird, this definitely  was. During lunch, I expected Zoe to do one of her mini shows, one involving Amanda but she doesn't. She simply heads to the lunch line- grabs her food and sits at her table with nothing but a single glance towards Amanda. She doesn't even brother acknowledging me. Not that I mind.

Luke notices this too along with the rest, all except Amanda who continues to eat. Not noticing or possibly caring anymore about what's going on around her.

When Luke meets my stare I give him a nod and get up from my chair, causing many to look my way including Amanda. As I head out in the hallway, it doesn't take long to hear footsteps making their way towards me.

"What stunt is she trying to pull," He says glancing back at the cafeteria. I'm just as confused as he is. Zoe isn't one to wait much less when it involves me and another girl- one who she specifically warned off before.

"I don't know."

Luke sighs running a hand through his hair. "You should know you went out with her." I meet his glare. "That doesn't mean I know what she's up to. I'm as confused as you are. More even."

Neither of us say anything until he steps back- shoulders slightly relaxing. "You know it's tomorrow right?"

How could I forget? It's all I've been thinking about last night when I got home.

I nod. "What are we going to do?" I ask. 

"I don't know. I think Brenda is setting something up."

"You know we can't just give up on her," I tell him.

"You think I am," he says raising his voice slightly. He closes his eyes and tries to calm down. "Sorry I just-" I cut him off.

"I understand, you don't need to explain." Many things have been happening and with the memorial only a few weeks away shits been tough, and there's more to come. I feel it.

"I should go before they decide to come out. I'll let you know if something happens." He turns to leave. Halfway to the cafeteria, he glances back at me "Also, sorry about that night. I realize I didn't get a chance to apologize." A sly smirk appears on his face before he turns back around

I let out a chuckle and nod. 

The moment he passes through the double doors of the cafeteria my phone buzzes, indicating a message. I pull it out my back pocket and check.

She's not whom she appears to be.