Chapter XXXIX

Chapter 39

L i n d a

We stare at one another, neither of us moving, and for some reason this feels like the last time I'll see him and maybe it is.

The thought of not seeing him again feels heavy, but it guess that's how its suppose to be. I was never supposed to see him after he died. Yet a part of my mind decided to recreate images of him. Or the more crazy part is, is that he's actually here like he promised.

Either way I don't regret it.

"We caught her," I whisper, but to my ears it sounded as if I yelled it.

He gives me a smile as his hand reaches for my cheek, his touch slightly colder than before.

"You did, but look at the cost." His expression turns to one of guilt as he glances at my chest. "All because of everything I did. She shot you and you're fighting for your life right now." A small pain in my chest follows after his words, reminding me that in fact, I am fighting for my life. Even if this subconscious thing I'm in doesn't feel it.

"I'll make it out,"

He nods. "You have to. Many people are waiting for you."

Images of my friends surface. Each one of them laughing and smiling. One of Brenda parents who watch us from afar. Along with another couple who I recognize as....my parents, and last but not least Derek pops up, his grey eyes staring into mine as we inch closer to one another...

I shake my head and meet Jacobs eyes which look glossy. "What about you?"

He drops his hand from my cheek and exchanges it for my hand "There is no me. I've waited for you every night when you dream but not like this. You need to live and move on without me."

I can feel my eyes fill up with tears as I try to swallow a lump in my throat. "Will, I ever see you again?"

He shakes his head "No, maybe years from now, but today's the last day."

Without a second thought I throw myself at him, his arms wrapping around me tightly while I do the same.

I always told myself that if I could go back in time and at least say a proper goodbye, I would, and that's what I do.

"Goodbye, Jacob. You'll always have a special place in my heart."

His arms loosen up as he looks back at me. "Goodbye, Linda. I love you and I'm sorry."

Before I can fully pull away he says, "Derek better make you happy, because both of you deserve it. Now wake up."

**********

It feels different standing in front of his tomb now. He was the last thing I saw before I woke up to this reality. A reality that doesn't seem foreign anymore.

I lay the flowers on the ground, placing them beside the photo that began all of this, the one with all three of us, the very same one that's hung on my new bedroom wall.

"Just because we said goodbye doesn't mean I'm going to stop seeing you." I don't wait for a response- not anymore. Instead, I smile as my fingers trail along the words engraved on the stone.

Jacob Hunter

My phone rings- breaking the silence and Immediately I answer.

"Mom?"