Chapter XXXVII

Chapter 37

D e r e k

"Take care of her, please."

He nods, "I will."

Something about the way he said it made me hesitate a bit, but I know he'll keep his word. He always does.

"I'm sorry about not telling you before..."

He waves his hand, dismissing my words. A small smile appearing "Don't worry. It's okay."

Of course it was okay. I won't be around. I won't be a threat. I won't be close to her.

I push the bitter feeling away and let a smile of my own appear on my face. "I guess I'll see you soon, Jake," I say just as my flight number echos in the crowded airport.

He nods once again, "You better."

~

I didn't think it would've been my last day seeing him alive.

I didn't think I would receive that call, the person on the other line telling me about his death, much less about her. That shes the one that did it, but just like that call. I didn't think I would receive one of my parents- both who are no longer with me.

It only took more than two years to come back since that day of that fatal phone call, and the moment I stepped foot out of the plane, I made myself a promise.

To protect her, help her, be there for her, and I failed.

Now she's lying on a stiff white small bed with needles and tubes sticking out of her pale skin, blood pumping back into her bloodstream. Her life on the edge of a cliff. A cliff I can't pull her away from, only time and herself will.

"She's going to be all right," Jessica says from beside me, dark circles under her eyes which surely match mine. If not more.

"Shes strong always has been. You should know that."

I let out a heavy sigh "I know she is but-"

"Then don't worry," She interrupts, placing her hand on my slightly tense shoulder. "I know she's been through a lot of shit in her past but she never gave up. Which means you shouldn't either." 

I glance at her, giving her a small smile which she returns.

She stands up, patting my shoulder, and stretches while glancing around the quiet waiting room. One we've been in for the last three days. "You should rest, and shower. No offense, but you kinda smell." I roll my eyes but take her words and playfully throw them back at her. "You should too." 

"Which is what I'm about to do." 

She leaves the room, leaving me alone once again. 

I could wait for the others to show back up from the cafeteria, most likely bringing a tray of food for me like they've done these past days, but of course, I don't.

I head to her room. One which I've dedicated myself to decorating with flowers and small gifts I got her in the past and new items for when she does wake up- because she will. She's going to wake up and soon all this will be a nightmare.

The sound of her heart on the monitor fills the room, reminding me that she's still alive, just sleeping. That we're both beating the same rhythm. Mine just faster at times.

I take a seat by the bed, running my fingers over her hair, slightly undoing the tangles I come across. 

Then I place my head beside hers, letting my mind fill with our future dates, her smiles, and laughter. Of her in my arms and of me not letting her go. 

"I love you." 

I wait for her response, but like the past three days, nothing happens. 

 "Jessica's right, you're strong. You've always been."

 "Where is she?" A voice calls out in the hallway followed by a deep one that seems to be trying to calm the woman.

"Miss, please keep your voice down. There are patients sleeping."

Yet the woman doesn't seem to calm down. Instead, her voice only gets louder.

"Now this is my daughter we are talking about, where is she!"

"Honey, please the nurse is right calm down. Besides, it's not good for your health," The man speaks.

"I don't care! That's our daughter! She needs us- needed us!"

I rise from the chair and give Linda a soft kiss on her check. "I'll be back."

I head to the chaos outside only to meet Brenda and her parents who stand still, staring wide-eyed at the couple.

"Estela?" Mrs. White says causing the lady to turn to her. "Rebecca? Oh god," She rushes towards Mrs. white, pulling her into a tight hug. All while Mrs. White looks somewhat relieved yet nervous.

"Where is she? Where is my daughter?" She asks, pulling away.

My body goes tense at her words, and as I get a full view of her. I can immediately recognize who she is, Estela Smith. Her dark brown hair reaches above her shoulders, her body thinner, her eyes in contrast to those of her daughter. Beside her now stands her husband, the same one who has also left his daughter, one who shares more similarities with her. 

"Where's Linda?"