Chapter XXV

Chapter 25

B r e n d a

It's not easy walking though theses hallways knowing that there is someone missing and not for reasons which would be considered normal but of death. Today is that day when the feeling becomes stronger. Where the memories hit back in painful waves.

I can already feel the stares as I move through the hallway but like every other year I ignore them. I know what everyone think. They pity me for being the friend of a murder. For being "blind" in believing shes innocent while others glare as if I was responsible for not seeing the "signals," Yet what signals? No one knew this would happen not even him- Jacob.

"Brenda" I glance up spotting Derek heading towards me, hands in pockets, and eyes glancing around as if looking for something.

"Hey, where is everyone else?"I ask looking past him hoping to catch a mob of dark hair- Alexander- in the crowds.

"They're in the gym helping set things up." I nod noticing his gaze over me, eyes searching still.

"You okay?" I touch his shoulder gently causing his grey eyes to land back on me. He lets out a heavy sigh, running a hand through his hair before he shoves it back into his pocket.

"Do you know if Amanda's here?" His question takes me by surprise especially with the distances these two seem to have put between them. I shake my head which causes him to look... defeated, upset.

"I'm sure she'll be here tomorrow." He nods, not says nothing. Before I get a chance to speak again the bell rings causing total silence to fill the halls, both Derek and me tensing.

It's time.

My footsteps echo along with Derek's, who walks beside me. More follow behind including the freshmen among other grade levels and those who never met him. Yet they also know what happened, especially when it was broadcasted on every platform on this day three years ago.

My throat tightens as I step inside the gymnasium. Staring at the podium along with a funeral wreath placed beside it- Jacobs photo displayed in the center of the flowers and roses.

We head over to where the group sits.  Close to the front, waiting for the rest of the students to take a seat.

"I thought it would be easier as the years passed." Instead of her normal hyper behavior Jessica's the complete opposite- softer, timid, quieter.

I shake my head, agreeing with her. "I guess it's because Linda's not here" she continues "maybe that's why the feeling won't go."

I bit my lip, trying to keep my words in, she is here and closer than what anyone thinks.

The sound of heels draws our attention back to the front, watching Ms. Kelly, our principle, head to the podium. My brows slightly narrow. Usually shes speaks until the end when most students have shared memories of Jacob including my friends and myself and I know I'm not the only one that notices this.

"Morning everyone. Today... we have a visitor... please show your respect." She nods towards the front bleacher where a man I haven't noticed before is sitting. As she steps away from the podium, he slowly gets up fixing the sleeves of his suit jacket, rooted to his spot for a second before moving.

I shift, trying to catch of glimpse of the man.

"Who's that?" asks Alexander leaning forwards as well. I shrug, but for some reason, my heart speeds up.

He stops by the wreath and turns towards us, head tilted down.

It seems like hours pass until finally, he looks up. A shiver goes through me as his eyes roam the crowd- landing on me and giving me a gentle smile.

He looks away, clearing his throat as he leans into the mic.

"I know this is a surprise. Not expecting me to appear ever yet here I am."

------

Throughout the whole speech, no one moves even with the tears streaming down their face. I don't. Except we start watching how even Mr. Hunter makes no move to wipe his own. The guilt and pain is evident in his voice. Is this how he talked to Linda yesterday? How he shared his times where he fucked up to where it started and ended? To the realization where he lost his son even before he actually lost him.

When he's done his eyes meet mine again he speaks. "The truth will come out, and we'll live in peace when it does." He takes one last glance at the wreath before walking out past Ms. Kelly and through the back doors.

Ms. Kelly snaps out of her trance and slowly heads to the podium. 

"You are all dismissed."

It takes a while for the rest to move, but I stay rooted to my spot along with Alexander, Sarah, Jessica, Luke, and Derek.

"I didn't think he'd ever show up," says Sarah eyes locked on the door Mr. Hunter walked out of.

"No one did" responds Luke.

--

I stand and head down the bleachers. Moving past students and coming to a stop in front of the wreath.

"How's your friend doing?" I tense at the voice. My hands clenching into fists, before turning to face Zoe who for the first time looks like a mess- hair out of it's usual style, dressed in sweets and a plain shirt. Yet something out of place from all this is the her face which is clear of any emotion.

I look over to where the group is sitting. Who seem to be talking among themselves, not noticing me, and make a move to walk past her, but her next words cause me to stop on my tracks.

"Why are you here? You shouldn't even be allowed to." My eyes narrow as I look back at her.

"I have as much right as anyone."

"Do you?" her voice is starting to rise and so is mine "Because your friend did this" she point's to the photo a few feet from us. "She deserves to be in that fucking place."

I take step forward "You better shut up" I warn. I can hear the sound of footstep rushing down the steps of the bleachers, but I ignore them- my focus only on Zoe.

"Why I'm just stating a fact. Cant handle it?"

"She didn't do it!"I snap reaching for her- a pair of arms wrap around me tightly as I wiggle to break free.

"Let me go, Alexander!"

"Not here," he whispers in my ear, not loosening his grip as he gestures to the teacher and students coming towards us.

Zoe simply stares her eyes moving over the rest before landing back on me " tell your friend Amanda to stay away. She could be in danger," she leans in closer while I struggle to break free from Alexanders grip "Because you and I both know, she's not who she appears to be."

------