Chapter XXIX

Chapter 29

L i n d a (A m a n d a)

We all sit close together in a circle on the floor. Derek -who's still holding my hand,  sits on my left and Luke on my right followed by Jessica, Alexander, Sarah, and Brenda.

"How?" Jessica is the first to ask, breaking the silence that surrounds us.

I start to explain everything from the beginning. from what the lawyer mentioned about keeping my identity a secret and keeping them safe by doing so.

"What do you mean by keeping us safe?" asks Sarah, her hands resting on her lap and eyes locked on me.

"Because if she came back as Linda how do you think people would have reacted? It wasn't safe for her especially. Plus the person that killed Jacob .." Brenda pauses trying to regain her composure again "Could hurt us if they find out she's on to them."

 "And I wasn't going to let that happen," I state.

"So why tell us now?" Says Alexander looking a bit on edge.

"Because you guys deserve to know who she is."

"She?" Asks Derek looking at me confused. "It's a girl?"

I nod "She's been close to us the whole time. Especially you."

His brows narrow as he continues to stare at me, along with everyone else. Except Brenda who looks down, shoulders tense. 

"It's Zoe. She killed-"

Luke suddenly gets up running his figures through his hair roughly as he heads over to a wall- putting his fist through it.

"Luke!" exclaims Alexander getting up and grabbing his arms trying to get a hold of him.

Derek is also up staring down at me and everyone else.

"She did it?" He sounds angry but mostly unease.

I nod "Everything points to her."

"Then why the fuck are we still here sitting around doing nothing!" Luke yells trying to get out of Alexanders grip. "You should have called the police or something .She's the reason we all suffered why YOU were in that place!"

I can't help but let my anger fuel me making me lash out.

 "Is that what you think? That I haven't done anything- I can't!?"

I hadn't realized I was on my feet and making my way towards him until I feel an arm go around my waist, but that doesn't stop my words from flowing out my mouth. 

"Who do you think they're going to believe? Someone who killed their boyfriend and then sent to an asylum or someone who knows how to hide her tracks and acts like the victim!"

Luke's face softens as he stands still.

"I couldn't do anything until now. Besides I recently found who it was, yet with what evidence do I show up to plant doubt in the judges and officers mind along with everyone else?"

I saw most of the magazines and news about me when the nurses weren't looking. 

"About a week ago Linda's Smith trial took place and as you can see people are still talking about it.

"What do you think of the results from her trial?" The reporter asks shifting her microphone to a civilian standing beside her.