Chapter XXXIV

Chapter 34

D e r e k

I force myself to push harder. ignoring the slight ache beginning to form in my muscles. Couch continues yelling, clapping his hands together as he watches us practice, clearly enjoying the sight of sweat coating our shirts. "Come on guys. You want to go to state championships don't you." A roar of yes's echos on the field, all except mines.

My mind can't seem to focus on the tasks in front of me. Only the image of Linda's worried eyes which flashes before me. Along with a feeling that's been nagging at me since I've parted ways with her. An oddly familiar feeling that brings memories from years ago. 

A distant bell rings from the building along with Couches whistle, instructing us to stop and gather our things.

I hurry to the locker rooms not bothering to change or say goodbye to my teammates as I rush back out, racing through the field and to the front gate.

My eyes roam the parking lot. Looking for a certain black hair and blue-eyed girl, except my eyes land on Brenda and the rest who stand beside her car. All watching her as she appears to be waiting for a response on the phone she holds by her ear- an impatient look taking over her features.

"She's not answering."

"Who's not answering," I ask as I reach them. Looking at the back doors where Linda should have walked out of minutes ago. 

No one answers. Instead, they continue staring at Brenda as she once again lifts the phone to her ear, getting the same result as before- no response.

"Where's Linda?"

 Silence.

"Wheres Linda," I repeat, my hands beginning to tighten by my sides.

"She went to go see Eva," Brenda replies, not meeting my eyes. Suddenly the book-bag hanging on my shoulders feels heavier than before.

"What? Alone!"

She nods "Yes, she didn't want me to go with her-"

"And you didn't try to stop her?" I didn't realize I've taken a step towards her until a hand grips my arm- Luke.

I take a deep breath trying to ease this tension building inside of me. "When did she leave?"

"Over an hour ago." My insides start to turn more as my fingers dig more into my palm.

Before I can say anything, Luke speaks, letting my arm go in the process. "Don't. You know Linda. Always acts on impulse," He whispers the last part as if still not believing that she's here with us.

"Besides, Eva lives far about thirty minutes from here. For all we know, she's probably on her way back." 

Brenda finally meets my eyes and uncertainty takes over her features. "But she would have called or at least answer my texts."

I turn walking to my car and shove my things insides. "Where are you going?" 

 "We're going to see Eva."

*********

I lead the way. Listening closely to Sarah's directions as she sits in the passenger sea, her eyes glancing from her phone to the window and review mirror. Making sure Luke and Brenda are still following closely behind us along with Alexander and Jessica. 

None of us caring about speeding down empty streets.

"Are we close by?" I ask watching as the trees become more separated and houses come to view.

She nods "yeah just keep going straight."

-

Her car is the first I see as I park along the road. Not bothering to turn off the engine as I hope out. 

Just looking at her house gives me uneasy vibes and the rest seem to agree as they glance from one to another.

"Is this the right place?" Alexander asks, looking at the house in front of us to the rest that lie on this street. All which look the same.

"Well, that's her car. It must be."

"Look." We glance behind us to Luke who stands by Linda car. Opening the door and pulling out her phone which seemed to be lying on the car seat or floor.

The phone lights up. Showing the many missed calls and text from each of us. "I guess that explains her not answering." 

 My eyes trail back to the house, and without thinking, I head to the front door- the rest of the group following.

Somethings not right. I think as we get closer to the door. 

Brenda walks past me and jogs up the stairs, the wood creaking below our feet, and knocks yet I didn't miss the tremble of her fist when she did. 

We wait. However, no sounds seem to radiate from inside. Not footstep or chatter just utter silence.

Brenda goes to knock again, hesitant this time but I bet her to it as I reach for the knob and turn. 

A chill runs up my spine as I step inside, my body seeming to freeze as I take the scene in front of me, followed by a gasp from those behind me.

I watch as everyone moves past me, yelling and searching the room. Stepping over knocked items. Stopping by a couch which appears to have...blood-

"Linda! Eva!" 

From the corner of my eyes, I see Sarah pulling her phone out of her pocket, her hands trembling and eyes scanning the run down place.

"Hello, there was a break in-"

Linda.

Another voice also speaks out, breaking me out of my trance "Mr. Parker its Linda. She's gone."