Part 33: Shining

Kylo's eyes were wide, reflecting the tree's burning limbs in them through the darkness.

Ash was beginning to rain down onto the island, like snowflakes they fell slowly, kissing the grass on their impact.

"What does he mean, Kylo?" Rey turns to Kylo, her arms crossed, shivering.

Luke smiles, his eyes soft as he watched Rey confront Kylo.

"Kylo is about to do the one thing that will defeat the First Order." He says, turning back to watch the flames lick the sky. "We haven't got all night." 

Kylo took an unsteady step forward, his eyes fixed on Luke. 

"What do you mean?" Rey demanded, her eyes widening slightly as she also took a step forward. 

"Rey." Finn's voice came, and Rey turned her head, her eyes instantly drawn to his.

Finn reaches out and pulled Rey back gently, his eyes also trained on Luke.

Luke glanced at Finn and bowed his head slightly in thanks, before looking to Kylo.

Kylo had now moved in front of Luke, his shoulders were slightly hunched as he stared at Luke's lined face, confusion clouding his eyes. 

Luke stood, reaching out his hands, the flames of the tree framing them in a dark shadow. He gave a tiny, almost missable smile.

The fire danced over Luke's metal hand, creating twisting and rolling patterns that mesmerize you.

Uncertain, Kylo took his hands, his eyes dark.

Luke gazed around at the group, meeting each face, before focussing on the tree again. 

"When you are done, leave immediately," Luke asked his eyes still trained on the tree.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, relaxing his shoulders.

"Please." He asked Kylo, his voice quiet. 

You frowned slightly but stood back, watching the exchange.

Kylo closed his eyes and bowed his head, his hair falling over his face. 

Slowly, you had to blink to be sure of what you were seeing, Luke's skin started to glow. 

Like a light within was burning as brightly as a sun, Luke's skin got brighter and brighter, his body almost unable to be seen as the light halo surrounding him.

You shielded your eyes, still able to see Kylo, his dark clothing a contrast to Luke's ever brightening shape.

Rey tries to take a step forward, you turn your head quickly, the sudden motion gaining your attention. Finn wraps his arms around her shoulders, holding her tightly. 

The sound on the island seemed to have disappeared, you watched Rey scream, her eyes wide and filled with tears, but no sound reached your ears.

You watched in confusion, Rey was screaming for a reason you couldn't pin, Kylo was doing as Luke had asked. And Luke was going to be alright.

The light spread, further and further, reaching out and illuminating the cliffs around the trees, the grass waving in a wind that had disappeared.

The shape shifted, and you managed to focus clearer. Luke's hands still grasped Kylo's. Kylo had his eyes screwed shut, but he seemed calm.

Suddenly, your ears felt an intense pressure, the shape became Luke again, engulfed in burning white, you watched in horror as he threw his head back and screamed. The unexpected sound made you cover your ears, flinching in shock.