Part 45: Resolute

In slow motion, you watched Rey's fingers loosen from the hilt of the saber and drop, at the same instant the blue light disappearing.

Kylo's sprinted steps towards the body tipping forwards carried no sound, you watched as a ring got louder in your ears as Kylo caught Rey before she hit the ground, gently holding her arms as she weakly pawed at her chest.

You watched her lips move silently as Kylo stared down at her.

And while you watched, you saw two figures also staring down at Rey.

You saw Kylo tilt his head slightly as he projected them to move into Rey's gaze. Releasing her arms he let her reach out to them.

A numbness spread from your heart as you watched Rey look at imagined images of her parents she had never met.

A smile spread slowly across Rey's face for the last time, she turned her head back to Kylo, her eyes draining back to their natural colour as she held Kylo's gaze.

"Take it, and end it." She whispered, her voice carrying in the silent room. With that, she reached down and took Kylo's hand. The knowing smile still on her lips as Kylo nodded and the images disappeared.

As Rey closed her eyes, as did Kylo, with her last breath, Rey's Force flowed into Kylo.

Kylo stood, laying Rey gently onto the ground, placing her saber in her hands.

He then crouched next to Poe who was being leant over by a Tyler, his hand on his chest. With his eyes shut he transferred the blue energy into Poe's body until he jerked and took several deep breaths, sitting up and falling into Tyler's arms.

Finally, he reaches you. His hair was messy, covering his eyes and teasing the corners of his lips. A stray curl clung to his ear.

Standing for a few moments before you he stares into your eyes, blank and quiet.

You gaze over his shoulder, watching Poe and Tyler embrace, Finn, adjusting Rey's hair gently.

"How did you know to project that?" You ask Kylo, keeping your voice as quiet as possible.

"I just imagined parents of a life I didn't have." He whispered back, keeping a distance from you. You watched his eyes flicker side to side and knew he was trying his best not to look behind himself to Rey.

"She was happy," You don't know why you said it, but it seemed right.

Kylo brushed the hair from his eyes. "I want the destruction to end." His voice broke, rising above a whisper for a split second.

"You did the right thing." You finally close the distance between you and him, bringing your arms up and around his shoulders, standing on your toes to let him bury his head in your shoulder in a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry," Kylo breathes into your hair, clinging to your body tightly.

"It's almost over." You promise, running your hands up and down his back, you close your eyes from the scene before you, shutting out Rey lying on the cold ground, her hair splayed out around her as if she was in flight, her hands covering her broken chest. You block the murmured words between Poe and Tyler, trying to become invisible from the nervous looks they cast your way.

It wasn't over, but this felt like the end. Even with your eyes closed, you could feel the pressure in the room, the constant reminder of where you were and what you needed to do next. It had to end.

"We need to go," Kylo whispered as if reading your mind.

You nod and pull back from him, searching his face. It was paler than usual, dark rings hung under his eyes. You hated seeing him like this, his eyes still held the gaze that you had fallen for, but he seemed like a different man. You realised you missed his smile.

But nothing could make you smile now.

"I need to find Ara." Finn's voice shook with the tone that so often accompanied those trying to hide tears, out of respect you try not to meet his eyes.

"I need to find Ara." Kylo replied, shaking his head at Finn.

"What do you mean?" Finn asked, narrowing his eyes, you also stare at Kylo, confused. Kylo couldn't protect everybody, and you understood that this was something Finn needed to do, for Rey.

"Rey's Force flowed to mine," He was fidgeting anxiously and you fought the urge to untangle his fingers. "If we want to get out of here..." He paused before saying the next word, you were sure it was going to be 'alive.'

Finn remained silent for a moment, his eyes drifting to Rey's body.

"We don't have any time to waste..." Poe's voice was strained as he took Tyler's hand to be helped up.

"You're right," Finn mumbles and returns his gaze to Kylo. "What's the plan now?"

Kylo blinked.

"I have no idea." His lips were parted slowly and you fought the sudden urge to kiss them, just as you fought the urge to burst into tears.

"Splitting up worked before..." Hux's voice was smooth, devoid of the emotion that choked the rest of the room.

Kylo turned to him, raising his eyebrows.