Verse Eight

The next day at school, I avoided everyone as if they all had the plague.

Sebastian had texted me good morning that day but I was too enraptured in my own personal misery parade that I didn't want anyone cheering me up, and if anyone could, Sebastian would be the one to do it.

Everyone kept staring at me and snickering at what had happened to me at lunch the previous day and I poured myself into my school tasks to keep my mind distracted, if I didn't I would fall apart and that was something I couldn't risk.

Finally, music class came around and I smiled. Music was my favorite elective of the school day and I only got to go once a day which was a bummer and I had missed it the day before because of the shenanigans with Sebastian.

I brought my lunch with me and asked my teacher if I could stay in the piano room during lunch time, terrified of showing my face again in the cafeteria in front of everyone.

I let my fingers flow over the keyboard, exhaling as the serenity of playing swept through my body.

I felt my fingers hit each white and black key, the coldness of each note stinging my ears and I began to sing some of my favorite songs.

My parents had put me in piano and voice lessons when I was only about four or five years old and I had only recently stopped going.  My mom's job had let her go and my parents couldn't afford it anymore but at least I still had my keyboard at home.

I loved coming to school and using the grand piano in the room, especially considering how great the acoustics were.

I allowed my voice to boom through the room, playing my favorite pieces and finally trying out a few songs of my own.

I had my phone out recording some of my favorite songs when I noticed how late it was and packed up my things.

I opened the door and was surprised to see the next music class waiting for me to finish so they could get their class started and I felt my cheeks heat up with the knowledge that they must have heard all of what I was singing.  I had gone at least ten minutes over the lunch time and they were just sitting out there listening to me. 

I was mortified. 

Until...

"Oh my god Holly I had no idea you could sing like that!"

"You have to audition for the talent show!"

"Yes Oh my god totally!  You should sing Adele!"

I was bombarded with opinions and exclamations from my female peers, and the guys in the music class didn't really seem to care.  

My eyes widened in surprise as everyone agreed with the girl who suggested Adele and my cheeks flamed even more. 

I quickly grabbed up all of my things and dashed out of the doors but only after bumping into a few people, one of them suspiciously holding up their phone recording the whole ordeal. 

Kill me now. 

***

The rest of the day went on business as usual.  That is, until I got a phone call from a superstar in between my last class of the day. 

"Hello?" I asked, not recognizing the unknown number.  It was only when I heard his voice that I realized who it was that was calling. 

"Red.  Nice to finally hear from you.  Took me calling off of Jason's phone for you to answer, how rude.  I would say you're avoiding me, but no one can resist my good looks and charm," he said, making me smile which was exactly what I didn't want to do at the moment but I soaked up his voice as it sent shocks of pleasure down my spine, the barely contained anger seeping out of his voice. 

"Yeah about that..." I trailed off not knowing where to go with what I was going to say to defend not calling or texting him back all day, but what was I supposed to tell him?  My abusive ex boyfriend humiliated me in front of the entire student body the day before so I wasn't really up to the whole cheering up act?

"I'm listening," he said, waiting for my explanation that never came. 

"I'm sorry, I guess I just wasn't in the talking mood.  I've had a lot going on," I said to him and while it was the truth, it kept me from having to tell him the entirety of it, saving myself from embarrassment. 

A few students flocked down the hall and walked closer to where I was so I turned around towards my locker and put my hand in front of my face to keep them from seeing that it was me. 

"I'm a famous singer who has to deal with managers, recoding, writing new songs, and screaming fans and stalker paparazzi, what could you have going on that keeps you from answering the phone when its so easy for me to pick mine up?"

"Because I didn't want to, okay?  I didn't feel like talking to you today is that what you wanted to hear?  I told you I had a lot going on and I do.  It might not be as much or as crazy as your perfect amazing life, but its still my life and I'll live it as I choose." I spouted off at him, not caring that my voice came across harsher than normal. 

"Finally the truth.  Okay, so what's been going on?" he asked, not fazed in the slightest that I had just basically yelled at him. 

"I-I just...I don't really want to talk about it at the moment if that's alright with you..." I trailed off with my voice cracking, specifically not wanting to rehash the most embarrassing moment of my life to him-Sebastian Jennings.  The most popular guy probably in the world. 

"Okay okay fine we don't have to talk about it now.  But I expect a full report when we go out on our date."

I sighed. 

"I don't know, I really don't-wait, what?  A date?"

"You heard me."

"Yes I heard you but I don't know where you got the idea that I'd go on a date with you..." I trailed off, not knowing what was going through his head. 

Was he playing me?  Was he genuinely interested in me?

It honestly didn't matter, though.  Not after what happened with Dylan.  He'd never let me be happy...

"I got the idea from myself.  Surprise!  Go on a date with me," he implored and I just shook my head, a soft smile on my lips. 

"I'll think about it."

"Say yes," he said to that answer and I sighed in annoyance. 

"I told you that I would think about going on a date with you, that doesn't mean that you get to strong arm me into-"

"What's this I hear about Holly Vickers going on a date?"

I froze.  

Someone's voice was right beside my ear as they yanked the cell phone out from my hands and began to talk to Sebastian on my phone. 

That wasn't even the worst part, it was the person that had stolen my phone from me. 

It was Dylan, and he looked murderous. 

"Who is this?  No don't answer that it doesn't matter.  You don't get to ask Holly on a date, she's mine.  Got that?  Stay away, dumbass!" he yelled into the phone. 

I heard Sebastian's voice yelling back on the other end but I rushed up to Dylan in a moment of sheer bravery or stupidity, and smacked the phone out of his hand. 

"You bitch!" he yelled at me and lunged towards me. 

Somehow the phone had gone to speaker phone and I heard Sebastian yelling my name over and over again asking if I was alright but Dylan had already swung his fist, and I was down for the count.