Verse Nineteen

I couldn't believe that my parents would still let me go to school after everything that had happened to me, especially considering that the person who had pushed me down the stairs and had almost killed me was allowed to come back after his one week suspension.

He should've been expelled after that video had come out but of course, his parents had connections so that wasn't happening.

I took one step into school and with everyone's eyes on me again, I bolted.  I ran straight to the place that was my sanctuary, the music room.  Since classes hadn't started yet it was completely empty and secluded, just how I liked it.

I sat down on the empty bench at the piano and allowed the music to flow through my fingers, the words of one of my favorite songs effortlessly flowing past my lips as I recited every word by heart. 

I loved playing and singing at the same time, it was something therapeutic about being able to only allow your mind focus on so many things that the pain of everything that I'd been through just washed away, my mind simply wasn't capable of worrying when I was playing and singing.

On and on, the song went as I felt the chorus and verses flow out of my throat, the words eloquently describing what I was feeling in those pain filled moments.

"I didn't know you could play," his voice filled my ears when I got to a part that I wasn't singing and was just playing the piano.

"I didn't know you were a student here and actually allowed on campus," I retorted back to him once the surprise wore off.

I continued playing the piano as he came and sat down beside me, my motions more relaxed since he was close to me.  It was strange that Sebastian made me so calm when I was around him, even though I hadn't known him very long there was just an air about him that made all of my anxieties vanish within one look at him.

My heart rate started bounding out of control, the spicy cinnamon scent of his cologne and minty breath so near to my face was giving me whiplash. I thought that since we had kissed, my senses wouldn't go into haywire around him anymore.

I was so completely and totally wrong.

I eyed him from the side and saw that he was wearing his signature white t shirt that clung to his prominent muscles like glue.

Was that drool on the side of my face?

"I got a guest pass. I knew you'd probably be feeling really scared or nervous about today, so I arranged for someone to be at your side all day long and if that someone couldn't be me then it would be someone who I trust with your life," he said, and I wondered who all he meant by that as I tried to play off how startled I was when he interrupted my embarrassing train of thought.

"Me, Blake, Jason and Josie," he said, answering my confused expression on my face.

"So, why did you never tell me you could sing? Like, really really sing?"

"Well, it kind of never came up in conversation. And honestly I just do it for fun I don't think I'd be good at trying to make a career out of it," I said, trying to dismiss it.

I took my fingers off of the keys and turned my body to the right to completely face Sebastian, wanting to give him my full attention.

"But that's ridiculous you sounded amazing, better than half the pop female artists out there now who can only sing the same notes every song and always sound like they're whispering in their songs," he said and I laughed at his analogy.

"Maybe that's just their style..." I pointed out but he wasn't having it.

"No no no, show me one pop artist today who can hit that note that you just sang?"