Verse Sixteen

Flashes and snippets of a dream long forgotten floated to the surface of my brain but before I could reach out and snuff it out with my conscious mind and forget all about it, it was useless, already ingrained in my brain the second I remembered it. Suddenly, my cell phone that was plugged in on the other side of the room beside my mother started ringing on loud.

"Mom, can you turn that off? I don't think I'm ready for visitors yet..." I trailed off, my emotions frayed and my heart beating out of my chest.

If what I had heard really happened, then my entire world was about to turn upside down.

"I think I just want to be alone right now. I'm really tired," I said, hoping it would appease them and they would leave me be.

They looked anxious to leave, but did so anyways.

My 'dad' came over and gave me a kiss on my forehead, whispering how glad he was to see that I was okay and my mom did the same.

I rolled over and reached for my phone when they were gone and my eyes widened in surprise at what I saw.

I knew my parents would be outside the door waiting to hear a single peep from me so that they could come rushing back in but I kept quiet when I saw the hundreds of text messages and phone calls from Josie and from acquaintances that I had barely texted before.

Those weren't the notifications I was freaking out about.

My Instagram, Twitter, even Facebook were all blowing up with follow requests and likes like I'd never seen before. I checked Josie's text from the day of my fall and my eyes widened in full blown surprise.

You should probably text Sebastian. You two are on the cover of pretty much every tabloid in the country and article on the internet at the moment. I miss you, please text me back!

Then there was her most recent text. It made me want to cry.

I love you Holls. Your parents won't let me in to see you but I've stood outside your door a few times and saw you sleeping. Well, they say you're in a coma but you look like you're just sleeping. I know you'll get better, you have to. Maybe until then I'll just pretend you're here and listening to every word I say.

When you get better, we can talk all about Sebastian and how you're pretty much famous now. Ali Hyland is claiming he cheated on her with you and so it's all blowing up out of proportion but Sebastian hasn't said a word. He called me you know...

It was yesterday. You've been asleep for almost a week now and I guess he just now realized that you weren't ignoring him on purpose.

I told him what happened, I hope that's okay. I didn't tell him the name of the hospital though, if that's worth anything. I don't know if he knows where you are or not, but I didn't tell him much, just that you had an accident and you're in the hospital and can't message him back. He wanted to know more, he got really angry too, but I promised him you would get better...so you have to get better. You have to. I love you, Holls.

I choked up at her last message, but I kept reading, my heart in my throat when I saw Sebastian's name on my screen.

Holly, I'm sorry for how I acted. I was dealing with a few things and I didn't want you to be in the middle of this media shit storm. I should have just been straight with you and for that I'm really sorry.

Red?

Okay, I get it, I'll leave you alone.

I saw his texts stopped for about a day and then started back up again.