Bridge (One)

"I...I don't know what to say."

"Well don't look at me, you're the one who said we needed to talk," I croaked out, wincing from how scratchy my voice felt just from uttering a few words.

He looked concerned and rushed over to me, grabbing the water from my bedside table and putting the straw close to my mouth so I could drink from it.

I looked at him with wide, confused eyes, wondering why he was being so kind to me when the last memory I had of him was being a cruel ass to me.

I remembered how harsh his words had come out, the things he said. He wanted to leave me alone. And I told him that if he was going to be that way then he should leave me alone as well. He obviously didn't take that to heart given the situation we were currently in.

His green eyes bore into mine, assessing and cataloguing each injury as if committing them to memory.

His dark hair was disheveled, his hands probably running through it one too many times.

I could see the hard outline of his abs through the tight blue t shirt he wore underneath the white doctor's coat that I figured he was just using as a disguise to see me, but why he went to such great lengths to do so was far beyond my comprehension.

His tall and lean physique was prominent through his clothing and my mouth was nearly watering at the sight, that is, until he snapped me out of my lust filled reverie by actually snapping his fingers. Literally. In my face.

"Are you okay? You just zoned out there for a second. You must have hit your head a little harder than I thought..." he trailed off and I felt my cheeks heat up immediately in embarrassment.

No, my brain was working just fine. And that was actually the problem...

"No I'm fine. What is it that you needed to talk to me about?" I asked him, cutting straight to the point of the conversation so I could finally have a clear head.

It was like my brain was a pile of mush when he was around me and all I could concentrate on was the way his eyes twinkled when he smiled, the crinkling edges around them ever prominent when he laughed at a joke.

"Well, once your doctor has cleared you and you're ready to be checked out, I have excellent health care professionals ready to wait on you hand and foot at my house."

The look I gave him was scorching. 

"That still doesn't explain why you're in my hospital room disguised as my doctor..." I trailed off, failing to see where he was going with this. 

He groaned and sunk into the chair closest to my hospital bed.  I shifted uncomfortably underneath the scrutiny of his gaze, the tension in the room so thick a spoon could cut it. 

"Holly, I know you got my texts, but if I have to say it again I will.  I'm sorry.  There are some things that I haven't explained well enough to you and for that I really am sorry.  There isn't really much time to explain right now though, and I know you saw the media circus outside.  They know I'm here and they obviously know you're here too now that you did that little window peep show.  All I'm asking is for a little trust here."

His eyes were pleading with me to go along with whatever he had planned.  I usually would have been a sucker to those green eyes holding me in place, but the sound of bickering caused my head to swivel in the direction of my door so fast I almost got whiplash. 

It was my parents, and they were about to come storming right through the doors. 

"Quick, hide under the bed!" I whisper shouted to him while I positioned myself with my arm resting over my eyes and half of my face, wincing from pain whilst doing so, not trusting myself not to smile and ruin the whole fake sleeping facade.