Chapter 4

A few days later...

I'm not sure where I am, most likely somewhere in Pennsylvania still. Sam and Dean have been calling like crazy trying to find out where I am, but I haven't answered a single phone call. They know I'm still alive, they saw me run off after I jumped out of Dean's car. I managed to get away by finding a nearby forest to hide in.

I haven't heard from Castiel or my father, I'm not sure whether or not Sam and Dean have told him what happened, and they probably tried to get Castiel to help them find me. Last year, I wouldn't have even dreamed of doing this, but things change when you finally get a taste of the solitude, the feeling of not having to worry about anyone but yourself. All my life, I've worked with plenty of different hunters because my dad never wanted me working alone in fear of me getting hurt. Why can't they understand that I'm better on my own?

I've been walking through this same forest for the past few days, luckily I had a stash of snack foods in my bag; I've pretty much lived off of the small bags of chips and granola bars that I bought at various gas stations. "Um, are you lost?" I'm startled by this voice. I turn around to see a younger-looking man in camo holding a rifle, must be a deer hunter or something.

"Oh, um, no. I'm fine. Just walking around," I reply.

He laughs, "You look exhausted."

I smile, "This isn't exhaustion, you don't want to see me when I'm like that."

"You got a name?" he asks.

I hesitate, this guy could be some type of monster that was following my scent, or maybe it could've seen me with Sam and Dean. "Maria," I lie.

"Well, Maria. It's nice to meet you, I'm Cam," he replies and reaches out his hand waiting for me to shake it.

I stand there with a small smile on my face, I don't want to shake his hand, he might be a djinn.

"It's just a hand, no need to be scared," he tells me.

I laugh, "I don't take meeting new people easily. I don't know, you could be a murderer or something," I reply. I keep my hand steady on my side, close to my knife that's hidden in my pocket just in case "Cam" here decides he's going to try and attack.

"Is the rifle scaring you? I'm not a murderer, I'm just out trying to find some food," he says.

"Oh, so you don't kill people, you kill small animals," I reply.

"Are you one of those people who are for 'animal rights' or whatever they call it?" he asks.

I shake my head and chuckle, "No, I've been hunting before. Quite a few times actually." My knife slips out of my pocket and lands on the ground.

Cam sees the knife, looks at me, and a smirk spreads across his face, "How do I know that you're not a murderer?"

I bend over to quickly pick up the knife, "I swear, I'm not. I'm the last person that you should worry about."

Cam puts his rifle over his shoulder, "What is that supposed to mean?"

I laugh, "I'm nothing compared to what's out there. Now, if you don't mind, I think I should be going." I wave and turn on my heel going in the opposite direction of him. I can hear him following me, and then I see him standing beside me.

"You can't just say goodbye right after we've met each other," Cam says.

"I think I can actually," I reply as I continue walking, not making eye contact with him.

"Well, Maria, I can see that you've got a bit of an attitude," he pauses, "I like that."

I continue walking, I don't understand why this guy won't take the hint that I'm not interested.